University/Informing Elders/Elders Reactions/No longer pioneer

by MsGrowingGirl20 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

University is going really good! I'm meeting alot of different people. Friends are so much easier to make here with 'worldly ' people. I have not and have no plans of telling anyone of my religion of the past few years or have any religious discussions for that matter. I have to take courses this semester that include Psychology,Philosophy and Critical Thinking (the first thing i thought of when i saw that was you all). The workload is heavy and i have joined a club (oooooo extra curiculumn activities.....baad girl) but i'm loving it. The people are so nice! It makes me realize how judgemental i was.

I had procrastinated for a few months as to coming off Regular pioneering. Sometimes i would be so ready to dump it then i'd go to meeting,assembly or speak to a zealous jw and tell myself to keep pioneering AND go to college. I was firm with myself because i was hating pioneering even though i was NOT making the time and I knew that staying on was pleasing no one. So i wrote up my letter and i was going to give it to an elder (service overseer who has been secretly encouragging me to go university for a while but will never tell his viewpoint to anyone for fear of being deleted. Apparently, he wants to prove to the other elders that you can go to college and still remain a witness through ME) but he told me that me giving him the letter will cause trouble and i should give it to the Presiding overseer.

So i walk out the KH then build up the courage to come back and give him the letter. He is upset. He tells me - the elders were just discussing how they would help me with my time so it's sad --Is this really what i want? ---What if Armageddon was to come within the next four years? (reminded me of the most unethical obedience is to do it out of fear of puniishment) ---He's sad because the number of pioneer's in his group has lessened.----He then tells me that i have to pioneer this month because i was suppose to give the branch a month to process it. lol.

I answered him to suit for all the questions and stuck to my guns to come off pioneering.

It hasn't been announced yet. I still don't know what i really want to with my life buy i'm moving forward. i think.

Take care all.

So

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Good on you Girl. It sounds like you have learned how to say "No!" at last.

I like the courses you have chosen.

• sabastious
    sabastious

That's so cool! Congratulations on the start of a new and improved life!

-Sab

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Excellent! Enjoy school.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Good for you! That's a great start, whichever way you go....

BTW, depending on your chosen major (I can't remember if you decided already? It's OK to try different course first, if you haven't). Just be sure not to take all the general elective courses up-front, as the major courses generally are more time-consuming (generally-speaking) and you don't want to take the non-core electives requirements upfront and then be left only with the dense time-consuming courses in your major all bunched up in Junior/Senior years (it's easy to do, if you haven't yet decided on majors, and many are sequential, so you need to take them in order).

Just saying (in case you haven't heard it before)....

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Congratulations. I found it interesting that the elder told you that you HAVE to pioneer this month because the society needs a month to process it. So glad you stuck to your guns and said no! Leslie

• perfect1
    perfect1

I am a newer person here but congratulations.

School is the best thing you could ever do for yourself.

You should take social psych, its a good one.

Cheers!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, good for you sticking to your guns. Thanks for sharing.

--What if Armageddon was to come within the next four years? (reminded me of the most unethical obedience is to do it out of fear of puniishment) ---He's sad because the number of pioneer's in his group has lessened.----He then tells me that i have to pioneer this month because i was suppose to give the branch a month to process it. lol.

What an ass. How about "Do you think Jehovah is so petty that He will kill all the non-pioneers? You got plenty of people to encourage to get their hours up then, even the elders."

And the "have to pioneer this month" thing. HA! You are a volunteer. You don't have to do anything. Do yourself a favor and turn in 10 hours or less for this month.

• whathappened
    whathappened

How relieved you must be to have this behind you. Glad to hear you didn't let the elders intimidate you. You have the control over your life now. Good news and we are all happy for you!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Good for you. Remember to give your classes high priority. Don't let yourself get distracted and fall behind.

... Which reminds me, I'd better get back to studying. I'm taking 5 courses this semester... all math and science. Time to go read my Biochemistry text until I fall asleep. It's a lot of work, but the time is going sooo fast.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit