new here, my story

by doingwell 23 Replies latest jw friends

• doingwell
    doingwell

I'm not sure why I felt a need to find this site and write my story about my experiences with the JW religion. It's been pretty far in my past, but it still had an impact, and maybe I'm just being a bit reflective, having past 40 years of age and expecting my 2nd child next year. Maybe also being reflective having just attended a Catholic babtism for my wife's cousin's daughter and seeing organized religion in action again.

My mom became a JW long before I was born - she's in her 80's now. My dad was Catholic (not active) and always side-stepped organized religion pretty effectively (thankfully). Mom got "the truth" after they were married and made some effort to get us 4 children to follow "the truth" - but all of us found ways to avoid it. I, being the youngest, was probably the most "at risk" for getting sucked in. With the other 3 avoiding it, I would serve as her ultimate success, I'm sure. When I say the others avoided it, that's not completely the case - one sister did get babtized, I believe, but she very quietly drifted away, even divorcing her abusive JW husband and re-marrying. To her credit, my mom didn't take this as a reason to stop communicating with my sister and no-one tried to hunt her down to DF her - I think as dogmatic as mom is, she has a pragmatic side as well. She's stayed close to us all, despite our not being in "the truth".

I've always been a very analytical type - science, computers, etc. are my thing. So all throughout my childhood I had a level of skepticism that kept me motivated to try to believe "just enough" of JW to possibly be "safe" if they were right about Armageddon, but also tried to live as normal a life that I could. I constantly questioned the rationale for JW on many different levels (be it science, theology, history - e.g. 607BCE!) - sometimes leading to shouting conflicts with mom too. I was still expected by my mom to not do certain things (e.g. singing anthems, celebrating birthdays, etc.) but I tried to take it in as much stride as I could, never voluntarily advertising my status. It was harder in younger years when my mom had more direct contact with teachers and could therefore dictate her will.

I had some friends, but was certainly not in the popular crowd. I did well in school, went to University and have done well in my career. I know my mom would have preferred I stay in our home-town and get a modest (menial?) job and be a JW - but I'm glad with my own path, and at least she hasn't alienated me over it. I remember after high school and before University, I stayed at home working on a project for a bit less than a year and my mom was glad to let that happen but only if I agreed to a daily Bible/WT study - gosh, that was a dreaded time of the day and it was probably a preview of what my life would have been had it gone on longer. It was a relief when I got back into school because then I had an excuse not to ("sorry, too much homework!").

I still get the occasional literature and religious messages from her, but I generally ignore them. I know she will stay in the religion till she dies. She nearly did a few years ago due to a heart attack - they even recommended a bypass at the time but she declined due to the blood issue. I'm glad she's made it this far, really, given her level of cardiac disease. I just wish she had a more positive outlook on life and the world: she still must believe that 99% of the world is depraved and worthy of destruction. It seems sad to me as someone who tries to be an optimist.

My own path had me marrying young to my high school sweetheart (non-JW). That marriage did end - my ex shared at least 50% of the issues (mind you, she chose infidelity whereas I did not). In a new country, I started over from scratch really and had to tear myself down to bear bones, relearn skills I never had before (e.g. how to date - I got no social skills from my family!), and eventually remarried a great woman, have a daughter, and am expecting a 2nd child as I mentioned. To my current life, JW religion is really just distant background noise.

Where this leaves me today is "spiritual but not religious". I really want to believe in a good, kind God - or perhaps a force, or the "Source" for life that does not judge and punish over things we don't truly KNOW. (Sorry, a book that has been interpreted in completely different ways by many well-intentioned - and not so well intentioned - people can't count as TRULY knowing.)

I wish everyone well - I realize I'm luckier than many.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Welcome, I enjoyed your story.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Welcome to the board

• kimbo
    kimbo

Welcome

the governing body is the evil slave

• still thinking
    still thinking

Welcome doingwell....

It doesn't matter if you don't know why you need to be here. The point is, you do. And you'll figure it out. Maybe it's just needing to communicate with people who will understand you. There are plenty here that will know exactly where you are coming from and where you have been. Or maybe it is something else you need. I'm sure you'll find whatever it is.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the journey that is JWN. ....actually, if you get very involved, it might not be that relaxing...LOL but that is all part of the experience.

• steve2
    steve2

Welcome "doingwell" - what a lovely chosen name for your posts!

I enjoyed reading your post. You have a good relationship with your elderly JW mother which is fantastic. You're an intelligent, logical thinker who tries to think well of others and who has a generally positive outlook on life. You're onto something so true when you say you realize you're luckier than most. I identify with so much of what you wrote. I had a good relationship with my elderly JW mother who died last year. She was a real sweetie who thought the world of me (how could I not love her back?) and at the same time she had a mind of her own and the elders knew it. I was disfellowshipped in the early 1980s after trying to disassociate from the organization. My mother continued to treat me as her son and accepted me. She did not make a song and dance about it but also made it clear to other JWs to "Butt out of her home" - and they did.

Like you, doingwell, I realize I was so lucky to have had a loving and supportive JW parent it. It could have gone the other way (my JW father died several years ago and I suspect he would have followed the organization's strict view of contact with one's disfellowshipped children but I loved him too).

You sound level-headed and nicely reflecting on your life to date. Yep, 40 years is a pretty good time for such reflection and congratulations on the expected arrival of child number 2. You sound like a very good man with lots of compassion.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Congratulations on a lot of counts, Doingwell. You did get off lightly. Hearing your story is a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for making my day.

Chris

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Nice to meet you 'Doing Well' & welcome.Leslie

• glentrevette
    glentrevette

thats it that was boring

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Thanks for adding your experience to the board: it shows that there truly is a spectrum of outcomes, mainly dependent on how hardcore the parents were. My situation was similar to yours, with a Dad who was divorced from my Mom and a non-JW, and a Mom who was a single parent with many kids she tried to raise as JWs. The lack of parental coercion meant it was easier to fade and do my own thing. It really gives me more sympathy for the plight of born-ins with gung-ho parents: they don't stand much of a chance without losing everything...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit