My review of the new JW.org website, and why Watchtower videos are landing them in a sticky situation!

by cedars 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I know some of the fuss about the newly revamped JW.org has died down, but I wanted to write a blog article by way of a "review" all the same. I felt it was important to highlight the dishonesty and evasiveness of the information on the new website, particularly in the "FAQs" section. Hopefully, if people decide to research "JW.org" on Google, eventually my article might rise to the top and give people a more balanced perspective.

Here is the link...

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-new-jw-org-watchtowers-attempt-to-tame-the-internet

I've also addressed the Society's new strategy of releasing videos on the Internet. Although I don't personally think the Society is posting these videos directly to YouTube, the new "Masturbation scandal" perfectly highlights how videos can find their way onto YouTube and be subjected to untold derision and scrutiny. In the case of videos in particular, I believe the Society is hopelessly naive in its internet strategy, and has misjudged how avidly video material is swallowed up and used by the online community.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the article. If you have any pointers on how I can improve the text, please do let me know!

(As always, if you haven't already voted on the 2012 JW Survey, please do so!)

Cedars

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"Sticky" indeed!

Good article. Will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple years.

• perfect1
    perfect1

I like your domestic violence article.

Good job.

That is disgusting bullshit they publish.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Hi Cedars,

About this:

In actual fact, under “fair use” laws, there is legally nothing wrong with using copyrighted material if it is intended as a parody for non-profit making purposes. However, I am unable to contest the decision to remove the video without potentially opening up a lawsuit and revealing my identity and contact details.

In all fairness, your gripe is with US Copyright Law (per DMCA), not with WTBTS, as that's just the way the law works. You had a good defense available, but you have to be willing to prove your case: you can't expect the World to just take your word for it, right? Only a real-life Judge can do that, if the WTBTS was actually stoopid (sic) enough to file a losing case in Fed Court to be upbraided by a Judge who'd only be too willing to teach them a lesson about free speech.

Point is, 'fair use' is a DEFENSE: it is NOT the same as obtaining the IP owner's PERMISSION before-hand. You have to go to court to PROVE a defense, whereas obtaining permission doesn't require a court ruling. Obviously, the odds of such use being given permission by WTBTS is slim, but seeking it is ALSO something that supports a fair use defense: there was no other way to exercise you right.

BTW, if you don't want to reveal personal information, you probably should consider opening a YT account in someone else's name (with their consent, of course), or use an realistic pseudonym (Bob Smith), and provide a PO Box address. If they actually intend to serve you (extremely unlikely), you'll have plenty of opportunity to clarify an administrative details such as mistaken YouTube registration, etc.

PS I liked this quote from the WT:

“Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease. You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are ‘mentally diseased,’ and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings. (1 Tim. 6:3, 4) Jehovah, the Great Physician, tells us to avoid contact with them. We know what he means, but are we determined to heed his warning in all respects?” (The Watchtower 2011, July 15th, page 16, paragraph 6).

Thanks, but I'll get my medical advice from someone who doesn't speak of human anatomy as if He were trained by Egyptian physicians in 1,000 BC, i.e. a physician who knows what roles the major organs serve (the brain as organ of cognition, the heart as a pump for the circulatory system, the kidneys as organs of excretion, etc).

Heck, even Jesus apparently didn't understand germ theory, or he wouldn't have chastized the Pharisees on their hygienic practice of washing hands before eating food (esp after Jesus and his apostles had spent the day laying hands on those with "contagious, deadly diseases", such as leprosy, etc).

• jeanpicard
    jeanpicard

I just want to point out that the Society has actually had their sign language videos available on the internet for years. It's not a new strategy.

• moshe
    moshe

Good website Cedars!

Those youtube comments really get to JWs. They just don't understand how much the public dislikes JWs and it frustrates the JWs to no end that they can't silence the negative comments about WT related videos.

Now with so many JWs having smartphones, the JWs at conventions are subject to being videotaped at any moment- sometimes the video is not flattering to them-

Public (wordly) comment gleaned from one funny JW convention video-

"There's just been a huge scandal in my home town involving my Mother & local Jehovah's Witnesses. Apparently she became well known among the men at the local Kingdom Hall for providing quick, no-questions sexual encounters whenever they called round.

I confronted her & she didn't deny it, saying "They just look so gorgeously well dressed, & they come round the house during the day when your Father's out. It's so irresistibly convenient!" I just don't know what? to think about it all.."".

( I know, it's the return visit that all the young ministerial servants are fighting over)

She lives in the territory that has suddenly gotten very hard to obtain--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHT3CEDgG6E

• Piglet
    Piglet

Clear, concise and educational! Great article!

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Moshe: did she just reverse her original baptism by leaping over the side and then going up the steps?

• moshe
    moshe

Hahhahahah- a reverse baptism!!! I love that concept-- I hope it spreads to all the conventions! I'll start a new topic!

• clarity
    clarity

Cedars ....wow, wow, wow!!!

Love your reviews ... amazingly well done!

If I could only have read these years ago ...I would have been OUT..

like a shot! Soooo to the point & easy to understand.

Thanks for all your relentless hammering away at this poisonous

and vile organization!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit