Any born-ins have this attitude about converts?

by Nambo 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

During the initial Aids panic of the 80s, I remember a question added to the Baptism questions for converts regarding "STD" testing. A number of experiences at assemblies regarding "those who left and contracted AIDS". As if :"see.. God's judgement on those who leave".

The very sisters who were "love bombing" young female bible studies..would quietly tell JW mothers with sons "that girl had been a rounder, and was VERY experienced....she should be tested... yada, yada, yada".

• jws
    jws

I can remember different feelins in different circumstances. On the one hand, being not fully accepting of new ones until they were coming around more. In general, I'm shy and have to get used to people though.

Thinking about it, I respected converts more because I realized that being born in, it's all I knew. To change from something else to become a JW was more difficult. Nowadays maybe I'd say more stupid.

As far as a potential partner, I remember thinking all I wanted was somebody who was going to stay a JW and not leave. I didn't care if she once was wordly. In fact, I was kinda hoping for a girl with a little bit of wild side and figured maybe somebody who once was wordly might be able to enjoy a little bit of wordly every now and then.

As for the sex/virgin thing... I did date a divorced born-in, so virginity wasn't such a big deal to me. I liked her experience.

• cedars
    cedars

No, I never had detrimental feelings toward converts in that respect.

HOWEVER, this thread reminded me of something. I recently remembered a friend of mine who was baptized as a JW in his MID TWENTIES. I can't remember the story of how he contacted the Witnesses, but they started a study with him (which I remember going on for some time) and, sure enough, he ended up getting baptized. Though he lived nowhere near me, we got to know eachother by playing music together at gatherings. He was (is) a very talented musician. He's also a nice chap, and doesn't strike you as being anybody's fool.

Anyway, I can remember thinking, almost subconsciously to myself... "what the hell is he doing?!" Even though I was indoctrinated, I definitely wondered what could possibly draw an intelligent, talented, good looking young bloke with an active social life into such a crazy organization. I guess I will never know.

Cedars

• Princess Ashe
    Princess Ashe

I was a born in but then left for years and came back and then I felt like convert. after awhile it just seems like everyone has there own life and little group to hang out with so trying to fit in is hard. I always wondered if thats how people on the outside that eventually come in feel. Also on a side note being in for a long time seems I saw a lot of bible studies held but very few actually come in and baptized!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

nuthouse escapee:

I am sure this rejected sister moved on and found somebody else!

As far as my thoughts in general on this topic of born-ins having an attitude towards converts: I noticed this attitude and even though it was subtle it was still there. But you have to ask yourself, how is the religion expected to grow, if not for converts??? Don't they realize they are sealing their doom with this unwelcoming, unrealistic attitude towards anybody who comes in the door? They are lucky if ANYBODY even shows an interest. Maybe they will become extinct like the Shakers.

This stupidity only adds to all the straws on the proverbial camel's back. But, what do I care? I don't have to deal with this garbage anymore.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I suspect it's all about S-E-X. A born-in sister would assume that a born-in brother was atill a v-v-v-v-virgin! and so he wouldn't tell her that she was lousy in bed- because he wouldn't know any better. That's my guess, lol!

That's funny because lousy is lousy and it doesn't take the study of rocket science to figure it out immediately. And that goes both ways. Men are big on the nailing a virgin thing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I prefer people in the middle to people at either extreme, as far as a life partner goes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HVP01goE4

• Twitch
    Twitch

Actually, as a dub kid, I kinda admired converts, those who chose the truth. They had seen the "other side" and had experience out in the "world". They weren't doing it because they didn't know anything else; they made a choice at least.

As for the fact such ones seemed a lower caste within the ranks was not right in my mind. If anything, they validated the "truth".

So much bs there in hindsight. Glad it's the past.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Honestly, I couldn't stand most converts. I found many to be critical and judgemental.

I've been slogging away for decades while they lived a life of total freedom. A week after they're baptized, "Ohhhh, you didn't study your Watchtower....hmph[upturned nose]"

The ones that were genuine and nice - I didn't care if they were "immoral" in their past life.....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The question is now, if you were single now, do you think you'd relate to a born in better? Or would you relate to an exconvert better? It seems like people born in or raised in have a sadness about their childhoods that is hard to shake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit