Any born-ins have this attitude about converts?

by Nambo 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

As a person who was a convert, I was always suspicious of born-in's because they never really made the same kinds of choices that those coming in did. Their experiences were of necessity, completely different and no doubt had their own issues, but I always thought that many of these never would have chosen to become JW's if they hadn't been exposed in the manner that they did.

It doesn't matter now for me though as I've passed beyond apostasy.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I remember my first bf was 24 and I was 18. He was my "unofficial" bf because we started liking each other while he was studying so as the PO's daughter, I was supposed to wait a year after his baptism to make sure he was doing it for the right reasons and not for me. We didn't wait the year to date but I have to say I was kind of thrilled that he had experience in the event we did get married. We didn't get married...I ended up with another born-in but I personally thought it would have been a great wedding night instead of the 3 days I waited to actually lose my virginity as a married woman 3 yrs later.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

My parents were very critical of other parents who 'allowed' their daughters to marry converts. I don't think they would have been very happy at all if I had brought home anyone who has once been 'in the world'.

• dog is god
    dog is god

My mom used to say that new converts should be tied up and kept in a closet for 2 years till they settled down.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Apart from Mickeys experience, maybe its a rare thing, it was the only time I heard such a thing personally, but most would have known I was a Convert so would have been more discreet with their views, in the incident I was talking about, most would not have assumed I was a Convert.

An MGB is an old English Sportscar.

"Nambo: I live only 15 miles from there. We could have had a beer!" (Said Joe)

Hey Joe, this would have been between 1990 and 1994, age range was anything from 16 to 35 I would guess.

If you are around that age, PM me your e-mail address, and I will dig out and scan some pics of the days events, maybe you will recognise some, or might even be in one!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I always thought converts were a bit weird, even though I sort of was one myself. I mean who in their right mind actually chooses to become a JW these days? Lol

• Nambo
    Nambo

As for the posts regarding assumed Virginity, as a Convert my concerns were from the other direction, I worried that I would marry a born in Sister and discover that "Witness" sex was something you had to do in the dark through a hole in a sheet!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    And yes, it has everything to do with sex. The Watchtower has printed articles about using caution because a convert could have contracted a VD or even AIDS and pass it on to their JW mate. They also use STDs as a reason to be wary of those who were born in, left, then came back to the Borg. The society was pushing converts getting tested for STDs before getting serious with any JW.

3rd gen is correct.

As a born-in female I was aware of the same reasoning. Born-ins were considered more pure than a convert was. And less likely to go into the world than a convert was.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

According to JW thinking if you were in the world you did drugs, contracted AIDS and an array of other sexually transmitted diseases.

I can guess that this is a common belief. It certainly was a belief held by my ex.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

My parents were strict about that. Then I dated a die-hard hardcore uber dub. Since most of my siblings didn't take to the "truth", she thought I was weaker/shadier than a brother whose whole family was pioneering.

My parents sensed her attitude, and said I needed a girl who "understands", but make sure we get tested for everything before we get married. Lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit