Why Not To Forsake Your Christian Heritage

by Dogpatch 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

There is a large percentage of former Jehovah’s Witnesses who came from evangelical or Pentecostal backgrounds, before joining the Witnesses.

For those who consider that a bad experience, I always suggest ending its control over your life, and take a vacation from religion. If God wants you, he will always be there for you. I have taken many such vacations in my life… knowing that I can speak to Him at any moment years later. He was, after all, my own “imaginary” friend all through my early life. But I found that ignoring that sense of spirituality results in a more negative experience in my life.

For me, conversion to Christ was pretty typical in Southern Calif. during the 60s and 70s. I had been raised a Baptist on my father’s side, and although my mother coming from a strict Methodist background, she adopted the Baptist faith, mostly. We had some pretty good Christians in the local churches back then (and I’m sure they haven’t disappeared.)

One funny anecdote that has far-reaching applications is when we used to attend the Garden Grove Community Drive-In Church (the only one of its kind) and my mother took on as a voluntary editor for R. Schuller’s first book (or so it seems), working in the “Tower of Power” – which still exists and is built adjacent to the Crystal Cathedral). Although Schuller was Dutch Reformed, and many consider his teaching liberal and heretical (especially involving his “universal salvation” approach and his “Prosperity” teachings), his staff of thousands were rather conservative! They got together in smaller groups during the week, and one would feel no different than attending a Baptist church. Except if you weren’t in the main hall and parked outside with a speaker box in your window at the drive-in part). I think they had a congregation of 7000 back in the 60s. Only in Orange County, or as we call it, the “Orange Curtain.” No one sneaks out of Orange County without Jesus. It’s a $250.00 fine. Prayer in restaurants is common. (Hey, I’m not complaining, unless you’re obnoxious).

However, assembling together and especially in song and worship is very healing for most. You can live fine without it, but what if you find you MISS IT?

What Are You Giving Up?

• Fellowship. No one can survive without like-minded friends, especially encouraging ones, even if they do embellish their encouragement. We tell terminal people they will be alright, tell homely people they are pretty, compliment others on a bad suit. We pray for others, share stories and do things together.
    • Talking with God. However imaginary it may seem, I know I can talk to God in my brain and the communication is instant, with no protocol. That’s the way it was with my own father, so why should God be petty about it? Jesus’ love is not egotistical or distant.
    • Joy in Life. We have come into a generation that somehow craves to live forever. This is much different than, say, the days of the Indians, and in Medieval times, where mortality is accepted around a certain number of years. The family adjusts to the facts of life, and life is seen as a normal, expected cycle of helplessness to power back to helplessness. In the end we are buried cremated or put in a form of Mausoleum. This has been the accepted norm for many thousands of years for man, regardless of what religious ideas float around in his/her head. Consider the Egyptians’ elaborate concept of life after death. I will not touch on that as it is beyond my personal experience. And I don’t accept corrupted theology.
    • When we see life as a cycle, with clearly established boundaries as to what is to be expected at certain ages for most, we begrudgingly assent. Despite all prayers to the contrary, the increasing level of pains and infirmaries arise. We become more dependent upon others. Relationships are more and more important, as our weaknesses require attending help, both spiritually and physically as well. That is natural family welfare. It requires an overlooking at stark and scary TRUTHS, but it brings relief to the stricken and those in pain. Sure it is abused, but it’s our current norm.
    • Be a part of a family of some kind of family . Even if it doesn’t seem “spiritual enough” for you. No one can stand alone. Sometimes even discussion boards serve as the only family we have, due to our limiting circumstances. Join one if you need friends.

If you have your own pick of a family, then strengthen your ties. Invest time in a few people… it will come back to you in your hour of need.

The JOY in all of this mentioned afore-hand is seeing the change in person’s lives, their resultant smiles and the obvious release of their souls from a lost, dejected state and having a hope for the future. To me, there is no greater reward than that.

Time to Quit Judging

I am not sure why some Christians have the tendency to “categorize” each other as to the mental philosophies in their heads or petty differences in lifestyle.. What happened to liking people and honoring them for what they have done, and more importantly, what they have done for you and other around you?

My dad honored all people equally from the start, giving them all the same opportunity to be a friend. He was even respectful of animals. He did not beat or punish me for my weaknesses or stupid mistakes. He would always be my father, no matter what, and he always said he was proud of me. And that my future was in my hands, not his. Well, really, my future HAD been set in stone long before, but that’s another story. Would I remotely consider worshipping a “god” who was less moral? CERTAINLY NOT. My father gave me a pattern for analyzing “good gods” and “bad gods,” imaginary or not.

So yes, I eventually had to make certain judgments about people as I got to know them:

(a) ignore much of what they say about themselves, and figure it out yourself objectively,

(b) Give them the opportunity of a doubt. When I go home to visit my family in Arkansas, where all day everyone watches Fox News and complains and hates against Pres. Obama, I tell myself they are not just a hateful person. They show as much love to others in different circumstances. So I don’t put people in files of personality types. I tend to avoid the divisive subjects (doctrine, politics and money) and get to developing a better friendship with the person. I do not know what will happen to them when they die… I doubt I will ever know that subject very well.

Younger Ones and Born-Ins

Born-ins will, despite refusing to go to a church for a number of reasons (some legitimate), may soon or later in life experience a sense of loneliness without a supernatural father of some sort. Knowing it could very well be a fantasy to believe in part or all of a religious philosophy, you must realize that such a need or tendency is part of our lives… if only to retain sanity. So not a few ex-JWs eventually join an evangelical, Pentecostal, Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Judaism, Bible Students churches or even other forms of “spirituality.” People will often look for what they WANT to believe, so give them that choice. Learn to separate the person from what clouds circle around in his/her head. They are often quite different than the everyday person’s life would suggest.

Years ago I belonged to the original Cult Awareness Network (now run by Scientologists!) and none of us asked about each other’s current religion, if any. We simply didn’t care. We were professionals, and were there to learn. So often today people judge others without the fruits of the Holy Spirit. In my opinion, you can have the most accurate understanding of history and what man has written and corrupted, and yet it will often make you less like Jesus’ lifestyle. Doctrinal debates are about egos… helping one another is about caring and supporting.

For those who have no use for spirituality or religion, I will say again it has never been my job to convert people. Many are better off without it at many times in their lives, or perhaps for good. But to the atheists and agnostics, you might be missing out on a way to improve the quality of your life by introducing spirituality as a consideration and a help, especially when you are down and out.

You may see the paradigm of worship of a God as “contrary to logic,” but let’s see how many areas of our lives we live and entertain what others would consider fantasies. See if you can think of how many fantasies you assume in your life each day.

Any takers?

Randall Watters

freeminds.org

randyTV.com (new talk show)

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I think there is lot of truth to what you say. I remember that the WT used to say that a lot of people who went to Church, went for socializing. People do need people to survive life. I still think of myself as a spiritual person. I'm not sure if there is a God that looks after me and knows all my thoughts, but I believe that there is intelligence behind everything I see. Why there is so much violence in the natural world, I don't know. I don't think I can be the same type of believer now that I spent all my life being. What I do know is that when I became a Catholic, the Church into which my parents had baptized me, and the rest of my sibling, shortly before becoming JWs, I found many people who would stand by you and not judge you. They did become a family as I also became a friend to them. When I needed someone, there was always someone from the Church there to assist me. I never needed physical help, but I did need spiritual and emotional help. After being told by jws, and your family, that you are no better than a dog that has returned to it's vomit, it helps to have intelligent people appreciate you and your intelligence and just make you feel that you count as a human, not just a member of a religion. The first time the priest told me I was a deep thinker, I asked, who me? As a jw, you are not allowed to think, as you know, so having a priest, who is educated, say anything positive about you and not treating you as a dummy, makes a person feel like they have worth. I still thank God for my life and the good things in my life, maybe there is no one listening, I don't know. I am still in the transitional phase. I am not really sure what I believe. As many others, I have had to adjust to the reality that I will not live forever, that I will die as all those before me have died. There is no Paradise waiting for me. I have to live the life I have now. As jws, were we ever Chistians? I thought we were but now, I am not sure what we were; publishers, d2d salespeople, assembly goers. Anyway, this is a good and thought provoking subject.

• Glander
    Glander

Your discussion does not hold true in my case. I believed, prayed and wrapped my brain around a belief in God for 36 years. I consider that an unfortunate begining in life.

true freedom from the God/Jesus mindset does not have anything to do with a loss of spirituality. Only if you think it does.

Respectfully.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

"take a vacation from religion. If God wants you, he will always be there for you. I have taken many such vacations in my life… knowing that I can speak to Him at any moment"

---Randy, thank you. I have personally felt like I'm on a vacation from God, but I'm not. It's a vacation from religion and maybe a permanent one. Time will tell. For me, it's a matter of decompression after the shock of belonging to a cult. I spent weeks searching through other Bible interpretations to help me get a solid footing. But, I am certainly not ready to jump into anything without first assessing how I got here to begin with.

"I am not sure why some Christians have the tendency to “categorize” each other as to the mental philosophies in their heads or petty differences in lifestyle.. What happened to liking people and honoring them for what they have done, and more importantly, what they have done for you and other around you?"

So yes, I eventually had to make certain judgments about people as I got to know them:

(a) ignore much of what they say about themselves, and figure it out yourself objectively,

(b) Give them the opportunity of a doubt.

I like your philosophy.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

rip,

I used to be away from my parents for years at a time. We could get on the phone or get together years later and all would be just as it was. My dad is dead but I still feel him as part of me and very real.

Some things are timeless.

Randy

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I strongly recommend taking time out from religion after leaving the washtowel, since it is too easy to jump right into a religion that is almost as bad. During this time, I suggest doing research. You should be doing a lot of fact-finding and comparison of as many different religions as possible, and no commitment. Some will do most or all their research online, while others might visit a church or several different churches. Others will read books.

During this period, do not commit. Any religion that seeks to rush you is probably best scratched off the list. Research different religions, and rule out nothing aside religions you know are bad. Research as if you were looking into joining but you are not yet sure. The broader your research, the better. Someone limiting themselves to, say, Catholic religions or the Anglican family is going to have fewer options and less integrated knowledge than someone that looks at all Christian religions. Better if you also research the Jewish and Muslim religions, even if you don't have any interest in joining them. Get an idea of the core of these platforms, and see how well the denominations fit the core. And, it is better still if you also look at pagan, Far Eastern, and even Satanic religions again even if you don't have interest in joining.

Once you know what you are looking at, get some idea of what each religion involves. Check the denomination against the core--a religion claiming to be Christian that has Jewish or Muslim, or both, elements is more likely to be faulty than a pure Christian, Jewish, or Muslim religion. Are you willing to live with the discrepancies you find? Are you willing to live within the rules of your selected denomination? Look at each platform--including the Far Eastern religions. Those who claim to be pure but mix elements of several different religions or that blend paganism or Satanism with Judaism, Christi-SCAM-ity, or Islam are much more likely to be corrupt than those that stay clean from such blending.

Finally, there is no penalty for taking too long to decide. You might be comfortable unaffiliated. If, after doing this kind of research, you don't like any of them or believe that God is imaginary, there is no penalty for deciding to be a practical atheist. You can change at a later time if you find a religion you actually can use or that explains your life situation better than you could have before. At which point, you are free to make the change. But, if you commit to something too soon, you are going to have a headache trying to switch later.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I agree. I didn't talk or think about the Witnesses for one year after I left. Or much about God.

Big healing.

Randy

• ziddina
    ziddina

Weird....

I can't see a thing on this thread.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Weird....

I can't see a thing on this thread.

• Aware!
    Aware!

If I were to join a church it would be for the sense of community.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit