Those Wonderful Kingdom Songs

by Quendi 56 Replies latest jw friends

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

When my family joined the cult we were using the pink songbook and rotated between 3 sisters who played the piano. One of them did pretty well. One of them would pound the keys enthusiastically. The third one played everything like it was a dirge.

Remember "The Resurrection Joy?" That was the one that started off, "Lazarus lay sleeping in a cold stone grave..." Seriously, it was enough to make you want to string up a noose from the ceiling lights and end it all right there.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Wasblind- it sounds like a trick question !!!!!!! Was that song #1? ( if so - I liked that one, too. Well, there's no accounting for taste- it's subjective)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can remember that old green songbook , I cannot recall the songs within it though. As for puzzling lyrics I never did get "There's balsam in fair Gilead"...Huh?

Btw we found in K.Hall library a really old songbook going back to J F R's day. The songs then were really aggressive and about warfare ....that was the stuff! It was more like an Irish Republican songbook from back in the day. ..They were better when played on a real piano, too

• perfect1
    perfect1

Thanks Rip VW-

song 19five, thats what I was trying to say.

(leap for joy)

I loved singing the parentheses echos that no one else would sing.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The song with the lyric, "Come and take life's water free" - my young daughter thought they were talking about ice water.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Happy are the one that satay awake, and keep their outer garments. What? Really?

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I remember the green book. I used to be the designated pianist. I also used to have a copy of the pre-green one. There were some very weird songs, though. I recall one was in 5/4 time and no one could play it, let alone sing it.

I've not seen the latest edition, although there is a funeral song in there that my nieces sang at my brother's and my mom's funeral.

So much was lost when they went to tapes/cds instead of live music. That's when the songs really started to go downhill, too.

• lumper
    lumper

I was thinking about those old songs the other night. I loved the melody to "Walking in Integrity." In considering the words- "I do not sit with wicked men of lies... In you (J) i trust and in integrity I've trod... Examine Me and put me to the test... etc. " It is typical baosting session material about how great the JWs were/are. They might as well have sung "We are best; the world is going to die; they are not as good as we are." I still fijnd myself singing it as i drive down the road.

• lumper
    lumper

I was thinking about those old songs the other night. I loved the melody to "Walking in Integrity." In considering the words- "I do not sit with wicked men of lies... In you (J) i trust and in integrity I've trod... Examine Me and put me to the test... etc. " It is typical baosting session material about how great the JWs were/are. They might as well have sung "We are best; the world is going to die; they are not as good as we are." I still fijnd myself singing it as i drive down the road.

• talesin
    talesin

Oldies, but not goodies

"We thank you Jehovah, each day and each night" ... etc.

From house TO house, from door TO door .......... OY, ugh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit