"Suggested" Donation when attending Circuit Assembly

by BluesBrother 45 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I could have called this "Fee now charged to go to Circuit Assembly" but I do not want to start rumours that go beyond what was actually said.

The K Hall announcement encouraged attendance at the upcoming Assembly day. The elder then said that since the congregation no longer has to make a blanket donation to the Assembly Hall it is expected that the publishers remember their responsibility to maintain the costs. A donation of £3 per publisher per day should be budgeted for.

I was appalled. Whatever happened to the proud maxim "Seats free - no collections"?

If a family of two parents and two publishing children attend a two day Assembly, that is a donation of £24. (about $38 U S) - not to be sneezed at in these times , for Brits.

Anyway, it is the principle of the thing. Would Jesus have asked for money to hear him speak? NB this Assembly Hall. in the U K Midlands, has suffered from appalling financial mismanagement in the past .

If they cannot get what they need by genuine "voluntary donations" then it is time to stop..

• james_woods
    james_woods

This is doubly disgusting for ex-JWs who were around in the 1960s up to the mid-1970s.

It was considered highly objectionable to even MENTION donations from the platform - practically like "passing the collection plate" in the churches.

This changed in the mid 70s when the Society wanted to go to computers and offset printing.

Looks like it has run completely full course now.

• whathappened
    whathappened

They have put in credit card/debit card terminals at assemblies...they are saying it all...they are hurting for $$$$$.

• yknot
    yknot

We have been doing 'per publisher' resolutions forever (it seems).....

Generally it is $5-$8 per publisher and akin to a movie ticket.

• cedars
    cedars

BluesBrother - I could be wrong, but I think I know which assembly hall you mean. I also think I know what you are referring to by "financial mismanagement". When the assembly hall was refurbished, they really went to town on making it as "state of the art" as possible. The heating system is computerized, and every seat has a thermometer underneath it to detect the ambient temperature and adjust the heating accordingly if it gets too hot or too cold in different parts of the auditorium. Side rooms even have automatic sensors to turn the lights on. Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned light switch?!

Anyway, I'm curious to know whether this "suggested donation" thing is UK-wide or just applicable in your circuit. The Society has already made great strides in coercing publishers to cough up funds, so this could be the latest example of a Society that is desperate to get its greedy hands on donations by any means necessary.

It is claimed that Charles Taze Russell once said...

“It is our judgment that money raised by the various begging devices in the name of our Lord is offensive, unacceptable to him, and does not bring his blessing either upon the givers or the work accomplished.” (Proclaimers Book, page 342)

How things have changed since then!

Cedars

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Would that be Dudley Assembly Hall Blues?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Generally it is $5-$8 per publisher and akin to a movie ticket.

For two whole days? That's a bargin!

-Sab

• james_woods
    james_woods
    For two whole days? That's a bargin!
    -Sab

Cheaper than sleeping tablets for the insomniacs among them.

• yknot
    yknot

You know Sab...

I always wanted to ask if it was per day or per weekend..... the same amount this year for all three assemblies...

I don't know if I am suppose to fork it over to my service conductor or drop it off at the AH/DC ....

I never ask just say 'Aye' with the rest of the flock....

• cedars
    cedars

I should add that Assembly Hall finances always were (and continue to be) a total mystery to me. Quite how a weekend's assembly can end up costing thousands of pounds when (in the case of Dudley, Manchester and Edgware Assembly Halls) we are supposed to actually own the building is beyond me, even once you've paid all the utility bills - but there you go.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit