A sure sign the End is Near....

by King Solomon 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diest
    Diest

I could see the wonderful sarcasam dripping from this post before I clicked....I laughed, thanks.

• blondie
    blondie

We had several threads on here with jws at a table in front of Wal-Mart, K-mart, malls, universities. Are you sure these businesses, including Starbucks, didn't give permission to jws to have a table there according their corporation rules? I would start with the departments in their companies that would handle such questions.

http://www.starbucks.com/customer-service/contact/company-information-form

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/197186/1/They-have-a-table-at-the-local-Walmart-now

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/171868/1/JW-Table-at-College-Fair

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Hi Blondie,

Here in CA, the relevant law for free speech issues is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruneyard_Shopping_Center_v._Robins

Long story short, people enjoy the right to stand in front of publicly-accessed private property at places like Walmart, etc, as long as it's not disruptive to the flow of the business, etc. There's not much the managers can do, although if there is a public safety or nuisance concern, they can call the Police.

This guy was routinely being ignored, anyway, and it's not like there weren't plenty of tables available. SB doesn't eject people unless they're disruptive, and then they are also asked not to return under threat of calling the Police for trespassing (heck, I once saw a clearly-homeless guy take a nap in a SB at a table, and an employee woke him up to tell him sleeping was not allowed, but didn't ask him to leave, since he wasn't disruptive).

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

that reminds me of this guy i knew back when i was stuck in prison/the wtbts.

he'd take his magazine and study it in the park as if someone would approach him.

of course he was pioneering and rejected by bethel lmao. i guess he was too much a dbag for even them. what's sad is he would count that time.

i guess i can't be too mad at him. the shitty way he treated me helped push me out into the real world.

the creeptastic way they do street witnessing here amazes me as well. i used to love doing that early mornings. i'd walk around and actually approach people with a short message and a tract. if they wanted to talk then i'd be more than happy to. coming to nyc as a nonjw, i expected them to do something similar, i mean, the entire city is primed for that and yet they just stand there in the sub stations with a blank look on their faces with the mags out. it's f'in creepy

sidenote and totally off topic, i had the pleasure of ripping up a magazine and tossing it in the trash at a bus stop in nj. when i did that, a car pulled up and then took off. i dunno if it was witnesses who planned on leaving their trash or not, but that was kind of the impression i got. they sped outta there pretty quick when i was ripping the magazine and tossing it.

eh, who knows

• blondie
    blondie

So the businesses were aware and what the laws were and he and others were abiding by the law. I have seen atheist groups, Freedom From Relgion specifically, Nazi groups with tables. So as long as they aren't disruptive based on the law...

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

RBIH said:

sidenote and totally off topic, i had the pleasure of ripping up a magazine and tossing it in the trash at a bus stop in nj. when i did that, a car pulled up and then took off. i dunno if it was witnesses who planned on leaving their trash or not, but that was kind of the impression i got. they sped outta there pretty quick when i was ripping the magazine and tossing it.

Dude, YOU FOOL!!!

When you did that, you made their day: they probably got on a walkie-talkie and said, "Roll! We've got us a shredder! Move, move, move!!".... You shredded and trashed, and that counts as a legit placement in their eyes, so they got to replace it, LOL!

What you SHOULD have done was encased each of the pages in a plastic laminate, rebound it and attached it to the bench. THAT would be working against their placement count....

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

To be honest, as someone still going out in field service, I'd be more uncomfortable doing what this guy is doing at a place of business than doing the door to door work. With the door to door work it's almost like the publisher has an understanding with the householder. Like both know neither wants to really discuss anything with each another at least not anything religious. So the householder states he's not interested, the publisher thanks God under his breath, and they both go on with their day to be continued a several months later in the same neighborhood.

On the other hand to be out in public sitting down in a busy coffee shop with literature spread out on the table in front of you, all the while with your hand under your chin partially covering your lip as if you're up to something is not a good look. KingSolomon, other than that pose he's in, did he ever pose in a manner that he really has something to offer?

On another note, I've got a feeling that in the very near future the WT is going to be pushing for more public witnessing with booths and table setups. They're already testing it in certain areas, particulary NYC from what I hear. Something our COBOE said in a comment at a Service Meeting around the time a thread on here mentioned certain changes that elders will need to assist the congregation with accepting,has me wondering if the door to door might take a back seat in some cases with booth and table setups.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Theo Sed sed:

On the other hand to be out in public sitting down in a busy coffee shop with literature spread out on the table in front of you, all the while with your hand under your chin partially covering your lip as if you're up to something is not a good look. KingSolomon, other than that pose he's in, did he ever pose in a manner that he really has something to offer?

Well, to be fair, this was taken a few minutes before he left, so he had been there awhile already. He had been reading the Bible, etc, and there wasn't alot of foot trafiic anyway.

Now that you mention it, he pointed out the website printed on back of the magazine (jw.org) and asked if I had visited the site, so you may be onto something with shifting strategies... Print-publisers are going the way of the dodo bird,and many have tried to figure out how to commoditize their content (whether implementing paywalls, ALA NY Times, or relying on ad-sponsored revenue). So JWs no doubt are trying to deal with the same challenge as every other 20th century publisher and newspaper did: getting people to pay attention to, and not even pay, for your content. JWs cannot even GIVE it away for the past 20 years (?), so it's a PR challenge....

• dogon
    dogon

I was raised in the cult and told that we had all the answers and that other religions run from us because we knew all they did not want to believe. Now as I grew up I started to see we had no answers and that we were told shit that we were not to question. Now I see we were nothing but mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed a diet of shit. I wasted so god damned much of my life on that cult and I know enough that when they come to the door they run away, every damn time they run. Like the little brain washed fools they are. I was one of those fools but at least I have an excuse, when I was in, I was young and raised in the mind control of the cult. I slowly saw that the prim rosed path laid out for me was nothing but lies and left. I never let the pressure of having people I grew up with and family not talking to me ever stop me from thinking. I was told time and again that I thought too much. Well I don't see that as a bad thing. I feel I did not think enough or fast enough to get out before 30YO. I wish that I had been raised in any [almost any] other religion or better yet an Atheist home. The JWs and their hate of higher education works for keeping the RnF stupid and in line but Little to help them.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

Dude, YOU FOOL!!!

When you did that, you made their day: they probably got on a walkie-talkie and said, "Roll! We've got us a shredder! Move, move, move!!".... You shredded and trashed, and that counts as a legit placement in their eyes, so they got to replace it, LOL!

What you SHOULD have done was encased each of the pages in a plastic laminate, rebound it and attached it to the bench. THAT would be working against their placement count....

lol forgive me i'm a noob at this!

will super glue work? or do i need gorilla glue?

what would be awesome is if someone reprinted some of the old crazy ass magazines and started putting those ones out

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit