Religious extremism at its worst - the Taliban behead 17 people for having a party

by cedars 44 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

"They" are Christian legislators supported by Christian American legislators. I believe today, it is still punishable by up to 14 years in prison, but that's not enough for these fine upstanding Christians. They desire blood, and are working to feed their bloodlust through the LAW, not random acts of violence. LOL---and I'm sure they smugly look at Islamic extremism with disgust. Adorable.

Just a lesson that Religion's political power must be limited. If they'd like to fight for their own civil rights, then I'm good with that. It's when they seek to destroy the rights of others that we must listen more closely, because history and the present has taught us some very valuable lessons about what it means to some to serve their gods, and what it means when they are handed the keys to the kingdom. They immediately seek to establish their version of God's kingdom here, and it is a brutal, bloody, horrifying place. Eeeks---sure glad I won't get admittance there!

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Without having all the details, I would say their problem is more related to how they do politics than to religion itself.

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

seems to me from the article,

NOBODY really knows the truth behind what happened.

the article has 4 different versions of peoples accounts of who was responsible.

i like the version about a rival family impersonating taliban and doing it.

more information is needed before YOU guys send out the troops.

also the last sentance in the article is disgusting.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    It's when they seek to destroy the rights of others that we must listen more closely..New Chapter

That is what happens when ANY religion is involved in government...it is inevitable.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    Without having all the details, I would say their problem is more related to how they do politics than to religion itself.

The details are available for any that care to look into it. But perhaps until you have the details, you don't want to venture an opinion? Or maybe not. Just a thought. You have my spin on it---and I looked at the details. Have actually followed it for some time now. It's what happens when religion gets too much political power.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Rbih, you are biased about this subject and this has shown in your previous posts.

well now, if i were biased, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have included THIS part in the quote:

.Without a doubt, many Catholics truly acted Christ-like by helping their neighbors in their time of need.

nor would i have said this:

there's some good christians, some terrible ones (westboro baptist?), there's some good muslims and plenty bad ones.

You are comparing Catholicism with Muslim Fundamentalism here

I'm proving a point. that point being that no religion is free from taint, no religion is better than the other and i want to stress this: EVERY religion has it's ugliness.

now as for bias, do i need to pull up some of the lovely things you, isidore and orthodox1 have said? should i point out all of the flaws in your collective logic in overlooking the bloodbath in your religion while pointing at the bloody hands of others?

THAT is real bias, when you can look at the "speck of sawdust in your brother's eye, while paying no attention to the plank in your own..."

• sizemik
    sizemik

Religion and Politics have always coveted what the other has . . .

The secular authority has ultimate executive and legislative power . . . jealously coveted by religious leaders.

Religion has the golden hand which sees people throwing money, resources and approval at them willingly . . . the politicians have only the unpoular choice of taxation as their sole resource.

Consequently they have been dancing a deadly waltz of capatalise and comprimise throughout mankinds history seeking any kind of advantage. When the two unfortunately fuse together, it has always produced the cruelest and bloodiest totalitarianism.

Religion is a scourge on humanity . . . more deadly than Aids, Ebola, the Bubonic plague, Malaria, Cancer, Heart disease, the ten plagues of Egypt and anything-else-you-can-think-of disease, all rolled into one. We need a vaccine fast.

And yes . . . I have already made a generous allowance for my weighty biases.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

As it happens, the ones who promised to free people from the evil influence of religion have been so far the deadliest and cruellest of all.

Politicians have their own religion: power.

• still thinking
    still thinking

don't beat around the bush sizemik...tell us what you REALLY think....LOL

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

As it happens, the ones who promised to free people from the evil influence of religion have been so far the deadliest and cruellest of all.

It's not really fair to compare dictators to democracies that have little or no religious influence. Many of the modern european systems of goverment seemed to have removed religion from their politics and do just fine.

I think the central idea that needs to be vigorously challenged in this time, is this crazy notion that more than 50% of Americans have; that America has some kind of divine providence, and needs to have Christian values brought back into politics. That is sure to lead down a dangerous path as N.C. brought out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit