How to Shit in the Woods

by Wonderment 32 Replies latest social humour

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

"How to Shit in the Woods" ... this is actually a book title sold by the thousands, no, by the millions.

Yep, over 2.5 million copies of the book have been sold, and the author is a woman (Kathleen Meyer).

Now, if you are a man, do you feel comfortable with a woman telling you "how to shit in the woods"?

This book is in its third edition, in 8 languages to boot. It is sold in Amazon, Books-A-Million, etc.

I never imagined a book with such title would sell in the millions. I am intrigued that a woman is bold enough to publish such book. Well, maybe not. Men could learn a lot of things from women. But still, what expertise does this woman bring to the table in the "elimination" department?

For more information: http://www.randomhouse.com/book/202954/how-to-shit-in-the-woods-3rd-edition-by-kathleen-meyer/

Do any of you own this book?

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL....No...never even seen it before.

Is it about getting back to nature? I'll have a look at your link.

That actually looks like it's worth a read.

QUOTE:

It’s the feisty third edition of How to Shit in the Woods , jam-packed with new information for outdoor enthusiasts of every stripe. Hailed in its first edition as “the most important environmental book of the decade” by Books of the Southwest, and in its second as “the real shit” by the late, great, outdoor photographer Galen Rowell, this bestselling guide is often called the “backpacker’s bible” and has sold more than 2.5 million copies in eight languages. Author Kathleen Meyer continues to pioneer the way with her inimitable voice—at once humorous, irreverent, and direct—examining the latest techniques for graceful backcountry elimination, and answering a desperate cry from nature concerning environmental precautions in our ever-shrinking wilds.

World changes come fast and furious, and in the backcountry it is no different. The practice of “packing-it-out,” adopted to protect high use areas and fragile eco-systems, is here to stay. We are now often urged to haul our poop home. Or with increasing frequency, the whole business is mandatory. To assist with all this responsible human waste disposal, Meyer’s new edition features the latest in product innovations, from classy high-tech to inexpensive do-it-yourself. She covers the most current solutions to the health risks of drinking straight from wilderness waterways; presents a raft of natural substitutes for the purist swearing off toilet tissue; and offers a wealth of new recommendations for ladies who must make do without a loo.

This down-to-earth guide has been employed as a training aid for scout troops, outdoor schools, and wilderness programs for inner-city youth; for rangers with the U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service, and Bureau of Land Management; as well as for whitewater rafting guides, backcountry outfitters, and members of the military.

In rowing hundreds of urbanites down whitewater rivers, Meyer honed her squatting skills and found she “wasn’t alone in the klutz department.” Her delightfully shameless discussion of a once-shameful activity, her erudite examination of its associated vocabulary, and her unapologetic promotion of its colorful vernacular make How to Shit in the Woods essential and vastly entertaining reading for anyone who’s ever paused at the edge of the forest and pondered: “Where do I go to go ?”

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

could have used it during my mountain biking trips.

anyway, I used to be afraid of being seen and put in jail for indecent exposure............. yes, in the US we have stupid laws that can have a big outcome in your whole life!

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

You must have your politics right. Whenever I start a thread like this someone get's it deleted.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Uhm...

Guys....

That's actually a serious topic - well, sort of....

Some years back, hubby and I backpacked up onto the flanks of Mt. Hood. We camped out on a ridge viewing the main peak, with nary a toilet in sight.

When we left the area, there were bits of toilet paper starting to show up, even tho we'd dug holes and buried the - er, crap...

After that trip, I started backpacking the used TP out - yeah, I know - YUK!!! But it kept the area a lot cleaner... [we usually weren't in an area where we could burn it, unfortunately - also a decent solution to that yukky white blizzard...)

THEN I made the mistake of mentioning this to a park ranger, back around 1992...

Guess what's become a park rule in a lot of wild camping areas, since then???

Yuk.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have opportunity to do my squat thrust away from porcelain fixtures. One site I go to, I bring a shovel and dig ahead of time, because I know it will be a morning event. I did over a foot deep, then bury the product with the paper.

My best work of this sort was done in the redwoods. I went off the trail and found a pit where a large tree had toppled, leaving the pit where the roots had pulled up. I was hidden by the trunk, so I did my business and then buried it under bark compost. It was a pleasant refreshing experience to commune with nature in such a fashion.

I understand bears are adept at this task.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

A free tip:

If someone tells you to wipe with a dollar after you shit in the woods, do not shove 4 quarters in your arse.

(A public service announcement)

zed

• finallysomepride
  • nancy drew
    nancy drew

Is the bear catholic?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I'm pretty sure the bears haven't read this book!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit