Why do folks feel it necessary to announce their departure from this board?

by SadElder 28 Replies latest jw friends

• SadElder
    SadElder

I don't post often, and rarely start topics. But, I've often wondered why folks feel the need to post their departure from this board. They're free to leave or fade, etc. whatever you choose to call it. So what is gained?

• cantleave
    cantleave

They want their egos stroked!

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Same reason people make a hello thread.

I thought about leaving, but I'm not very good at keeping promises, as you can see.

Plus it always comes off as attention grabbing, whichever way you word it.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Not all do . . . the majority simply fade.

If some have made significant relationships they may wish to thank others before they move on.

It's polite to take your leave when exiting the room . . . I have no problem with it.

• Simon
    Simon

Sometimes it's nice to say goodbye rather than just disappearing one day.

After the experience of the WTS, it's refreshing to have people say "oh, goodbye then ... we'll miss you and good luck !"

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

It's also nice for some of us "newbies" to see people move on with their lives.

It's also nice that they appreciate and THANK those here who had a part in helping them.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I appreciate knowing that a person has simply moved on. When someone just "disappears", I wonder if they got offended, or if something bad happened to them. I don't actually know anyone on here in real life, but I do feel a sense of attachment to them.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I tend to look with a jaundiced eye at those who post "I'M LEAVING!" threads, and explain what poster drove them to it, as if hinting for some begging and pleading for them to stay: we've all seen it done, and I roll my eyes inside. Hopefully folks aren't so narcissistic as to think anyone is really THAT important, such that their unsolicited opinion will be missed by anyone...

BUT, I think it's great when they say they don't NEED to post here anymore, as it means they understand that this is, as someone put it, an informal half-way house or support group for ex-JWs. But now they're ready to be an ex-ex-JW; that's good news....

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I've notice that the majority of folks who have announced they were leaving the board always return

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

'Coz they are trying to break their addiction to JWN, and they think that by affirming their decision they will be able to escape. Doesn't work, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit