Obesity Harder on Health Than Smoking

by Sam Beli 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

The WTS Does Not Equate Obesity With Smoking

Here is the link: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020312/hl_nm/obesity_smoking_1

Obesity Harder on Health Than Smoking
    Tue Mar 12,11:07 AM ET
    By Deena Beasley

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Obesity exacts a higher toll on health and healthcare costs than either smoking or drinking as serious obesity-related problems like diabetes are near epidemic levels, according to a study released on Tuesday.

"Smoking and drinking, which are on the decline, have been the focus of research and policy work for years. Yet obesity, which can have far more serious health consequences, has received far less interest," said Roland Sturm, author of the study and a researcher at the UCLA/RAND Managed Care Center for Psychiatric Disorders in Santa Monica, California.

The study found that obesity--linked to health complications including diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, stroke and certain cancers--raises a person's healthcare costs by 36% and medication costs by 77%.

Smoking and drinking also cause serious health problems, but the study, released by the journal Health Affairs, found that smoking leads to a more modest 21% rise in healthcare costs and 28% increase in medication costs, with smaller effects seen for problem drinkers.

"Obesity is associated with a lot of chronic conditions, which have a large impact on health costs. Diabetes needs constant care," Sturm said. Diabetes, a condition in which the body's ability to process sugar is impaired, raises the risk of kidney failure, blindness, heart disease and circulatory problems that can force amputations.

Sturm cited more and more hours in front of the television, less physical activity and a car-obsessed culture as significant causes of American's growing obesity problem.

The US Surgeon General in a December report placed the blame on diet and urged people to cut back on sugar and fats. The recommendation was criticized by the Sugar Association, which thought the report should have stressed fitness more.

The RAND study, based on a 1998 US household telephone survey of about 10,000 adults, found that people who are obese have 30% to 50% more chronic medical problems than smokers or problem drinkers.

Health experts have said the number of diabetes cases in the US could nearly double over the next 50 years as a population fond of junk food and prone to obesity ages.

Obesity rates in the United States nearly doubled in the 1990s--from around 12% in 1990 to 23% in 1998, when the study was conducted. In comparison, daily smokers made up 19% of the population and 6% were classified as heavy drinkers.
    The recent Surgeon General's report said 27% of Americans are obese, and 61% are overweight.

People with a body mass index--a measure of weight in relation to height--of more than 30 are considered obese. For example, someone 5 feet 8 inches tall who weighs 197 pounds or more would be classified as obese.

In terms of dollar amounts, the study found that obesity raised healthcare costs by an average of $395 a year, while smoking increased costs by $230 and heavy drinking is associated with a $150 annual increase.

Sturm said higher taxes on cigarettes have played a big role in deterring people from smoking, but a similar approach to weight control--the so-called "twinkie tax"--is unlikely to work.

"I don't think McDonald's is making people obese. We need to have more of a public health angle, not just doctors telling people to lose weight," Sturm said.

• LB
    LB

Ignorance is harder on your health than obesity.

You seem to think that people have exactly the same choice becoming obese as they do to smoking?

Sometimes obesity is the result of a disease therefor skewing the percentage of health care costs.

But why do I bother. Bashing obese people is acceptable.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

“Ignorance is harder on your health than obesity.”

Agreed!

“Sometimes obesity is the result of a disease…”

What disease(s) do you have in mind?

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LB, I've seen you get up in arms about this before. I don't understand. While I think it unkind to "bash" obese people, I also think it a very telling contrast - the difference between the way the organization treats smoking and obesity.

Some instances of obesity may be totally outside of a persons control. Most are not.

Some cases may seem to be totally within the scope of a persons control, but their mental health does not allow them to change, ie. food is a drug they use as a coping mechanism.

It is totally relevent to discuss obesity as a critisicm of JW practices.

An obese Elder who df's a smoker, is a putrid, vile and disgusting hypocrit. A body of elders who take on such a case, when there are obese people in the congregation, is a putrid, vile and disgusting group.

This fact becomes especially clear when you know of a person who killed themselve after struggling with, and failing at, quitting smoking, and was subsequently df'd.

• simplesally
    simplesally

My husband I had soooooooo many talks about this. It would disGUST me to go to the assemblies and DC's and see such FAT FAT FAT people. And then there are absolutely no talks about controlling themselves.

I used to be friends with an extremely heavy woman who blamed her weight on a bad back and diabetes. As I got to know her, I saw her order candy, cakes and other foods thru the mail. I saw her go out to dinner and eat. And to top it off, she said ALL FOOD TURNS TO SUGAR so it didn't matter what she ate. She was a diabetic, for Pete's sake. She has a retarded, blind, mute, son who will have to be cared for by others when she dies prematurely.

And no one says a thing to her..... not one thing.

The bible condemns gluttons just as much as fornicators and murderers, yet that subject is never talked about. (And its true, one can be skinny and be a glutton === some people binge on things or just pig out in such a disgusting way even tho they aren't fat per se)

• Introspection
    Introspection

I think there's a common denominator at work here. Whether we're talking about an excess of food, tobacco or whatever, it seems to me it's all a matter of conditioned response. Yes all other things being equal it may not be just a behavioral issue for some people, but considering the fact that the WTS basically conditions people to behave a certain way I think it's very significant. Instead of having a certain amount of awareness of your own behavior, if you tend to cruise on programming of some sort things are likely to get out of control.

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

Many who are drawn to and remain in high-controlled religious groups have addictive personalities. Religion itself is usually enough to feed their addiction. However, when pleasure is no longer gained (pun not intended) through religion alone...the addict will incorporate another addiction. Usually, the one source of anything remotely pleasurable that is permitted is food. Food is associated with happiness, socializing and entertainment. i.e. going on breaks after field service, eating out after meetings, dining while at conventions etc.

This doesn't even bring into play the effect that the black and white mentality imposed by the WT has on people's lives. Everything you think is in terms of extremes of good or evil..nothing can be questioned. This creates fear, guilt and shame which in turn causes a person to look for comfort, their only solace? food. Food becomes their "fix." The only drug that is permitted besides religion. Food is also the only thing they may have control over in their lives...(no one can tell them what to eat, how much or when).

I'm surprised there's not more overweight JWs.

btw...you can't get lung cancer from a slow metabolism.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~Voltaire

• LB
    LB

Yes I do get up in arms over this topic.

I weighed 329 pounds at one point in time. Many have medical reasons that will add to their weight problems. I think mine was mainly due to an adiction to food.

But comparing the two doesn't make any sense to me. My obesity never killed anyone. But smokers kill other people daily as do drunks for one thing.

The typical response here is such as simplesally said.

It would disGUST me to go to the assemblies and DC's and see such FAT FAT FAT people.
    and this is what obese people deal with daily.

Let me give you some statistics just for fun. Do you know what the success rate is in the USA for diets? Long term success? The long term success rate for keeping the weight off is less than 2%. This includes people who only have 20 pounds to lose. When you get to the size I was, dieting is nearly a 100% failure rate. When you are obese and FAIL again and again at dieting it brings people into total depression. They think horrible thoughts and many consider suicide as I have. After learning how the body stores fat and how difficult it is to lose it, I feel better about myself. When you diet the body goes into stravation mode, it hordes that fat as though it was gold. Your metablisim will lower itself so much that a 180 pound man can maintain weight by only eating 800 calories a day. It's a no win situation. Exercise can't help the super obese as their body won't tolerate it.

So beating people up, who are obese, in my mind is cruel and heartless. If you haven't got a problem with weight you'll never understand the mindset.

Some people, when emotions play a factor in their lives will stop eating. They'll lose weight. Others will turn to food for comfort. We're all different and on this site, as in the "real" world, I find no compassion for obese people.

So blow smoke in my face, drink and swerve into my lane. Then log on and blast obese people for being lazy, stupid or disgusting as simplesally calls them.

For those who don't know. I underwent a drastic operation which changed my life. I had a gastric bypass and have lost 160+ pounds and I am keeping it off now. But I'll always think "fat". I'll always be sensitive to bigoted fat remarks. I'll never apologize for feeling this way either.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Amazing
    Amazing

That's why I eat loads of pepperoni and saugage pizza, highly salted, with plenty of extra cheese, along with a gallon of beer, and at least two cigars in between 5 cigarettes ... then after this, I enjoy a couple of scotches until I am ready for a giant heaping bowl of ice cream topped with loads of Hershey syurp, cherries, peanuts, whipped cream ... and then if that is not enough, I stop by a fast food place to chase it all down with a double quarter-pounder w/cheese and supersize of fries ... yummy.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LB, I'm glad you are healthier now. You seem to be a person who really loves life and physical activities. I certainly understand where you are coming from better now.

Still, I think you are missing the point. Smoking DOES NOT equal obesity. No shit. Smoking is smoking. Obesity is obesity. Gluttony is gluttony.

However, for the sake of JW.com, where our ex-religious issues are hammered out, there is a very clear comparison between smoking and obesity.

In regards to the WTBS stance on smoking, the fact that they (the org) say nothing about a comparitive issue that IS mentioned in the bible, says alot about their mindset. In fact, it says that they are more than willing to be hypocrites.

I understand that obesity is a sensitive issue. I understand that even talking about it is going to hurt some people. That does not make it any less hypocritical for an obese elder (at least one who could do something about it) to DF someone for smoking.

Obesity WILL kill the obese person. It's true that smokers can and often do harm others, but that can be eliminated if the smoker chooses too. Either way, a persons premature death and health problems leading up to that death are harmful to his loved ones and society.

I understand that often it is for emotional reasons that people overeat - it becomes an addiction. Funny, that's why many people can't stop smoking, isn't it?

Hillary has posted the story of fishing a brothers body out of the river. He had drowned himself after losing his battle to quit smoking and being subsequently disfellowshipped.

That makes their hypocrisy worthy of attack. If this was bible times, one would say that they (the GB) should die for their error. Sometimes I feel like being the facilitator.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit