just an observation....

by troucul 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• troucul
    troucul

I'm probably gonna get creamed for this but I've made an observation and I need to know if I'm the only who feels this way...anywho...here goes.

Ever since I left the "borg" a couple years ago I've been trying to find a home. I thought I would find it in a group that did not agree with their teaching. (i.e., apostates or chat rooms where free discussion is promoted) As time goes on, I realize I may be mistaken. I notice a serious element of distrust among those no longer in the "borg". Going into various chat rooms on the net, because I'm relatively new to them, I am dealt with severely by not only current witnesses, but also former witnesses. This I do not understand. If, as a former witness, you were mistreated, or expelled unjustly,(or justly, it doesn't really matter), wouldn't the loving thing to do be to spare others that same mistreatment? By welcoming them out of the gloom and despair?

Mind you, I have no intention of returning as a dog to my vomit, but I wonder if a particular religion IS the key. I was beginning to gain the impression that religion WAS a snare and a racket. Now I am not so sure. If love is a fallacy within the "borg", and simply non-existent in renegade groups outside it, where is it?

For a time I thought my journey was done. I guess it's time to pack my bags and start over again. Anywho, if I'm an idiot for saying this just let me know.

Just another spiritual B)

• LB
    LB

Well you usually find love when you aren't looking for it. I doubt you'll find ANY group that has unconditional love. In fact you'll never meet a personal that has unconditional love. Doesn't exist.

This place has it's fair share of loving people and idiots. Just like any place.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Prisca
    Prisca

Could it be the medium of the internet that is the problem?

After all, the internet is not the safest way to make friends. Anyone can come along and claim to be whatever they (or you) want to be. And for ex-witnesses, who have been duped and lied to for most of their lives, it isn't easy to trust again. Particularly over the internet.

Also to gain a person's trust you have to show you are worthy of it. It's not something that can be demanded. It takes time and effort.

• larc
    larc

Troucol,

I don't recollect you, so I don't know what you write. If people are giving you a hard time on the net, you have to ask yourself why that is. If it happens routinely, then there may be something you write that is irritating to people. If it happens occasionaly, then it is just the fact that you can't please all of the people all of the time, and I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you.

• Bang
    Bang

There Are groups who do the will of God.
    They're conspicuous "by their fruits", not "by their bible study"

"behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you"

Bang

• Celia
    Celia

TrouCul
    What a strange choice of name...!!!
    Do you care to explain why you would choose a name that in French, as you probably know, means "A$$Hole"...
    Anyway, I don't see on this board what you see.
    You take what you like, and leave the rest I say...
    Welcome...Trou, Gosh , what an awful name.... !

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

It is very common for JWs to pretend to be ex-JWs and to come here to cause trouble. It is also common for ex-JWs to go to JW sites/chats and pretend to be JWs.

Some "imposters" on both sides are transparent troublemakers, with no purpose but to stir up a storm and sit back and watch the carnage. Others, on both sides, think the only way to get the other side to listen is to pretend to be one of them. ("1975 is hogwash!" wont get you as far as "I'm an active JW who has some questions about 1975.")

This breeds more mistrust in an arena (religion) that is already one of the most contentious subjects to tackle--it runs a close second to knitting; you don't know flame wars until you see a debate about butterfly vs layette stitches.

In an environment such as this, it is no wonder you are met with skepticism until you establish yourself. There is a cold war going on, and both sides are on the look-out for spies.

Hmmm

• TR
    TR

Celia,

If this is true,(asshole name) Then TrouCul must be speaking out his/her ass. That would definately cause problems.

Asshole,

Is your intent to stir up problems? Is this why you chose such a word for a name?

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Trou, people are people. You need to keep looking for those with whom you have a connection. You will not find this connection easily in a group, since each group is comprised of many members who have most likely grouped together because of their connection.

Many times, ex-JWs tend to be very leery of newcomers, since JWs often pose as friends only to ultimately backstab those who have befriended them.

Just be patient. You'll eventually connect with people with whom you'll feel comfortable.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Are you looking for love or looking for answers?

My level of trust here is very low. I trust very few (although I did in the past and I got burned so I dont put my hand on the stove again) for a number of reasons. Many don't trust or are untrustworthy for any combination of the following reasons:

1. This is the internet and as such people use anonymous means to communicate (I do so myself for various reasons). Knowing that others are anonymous how can you trust them? True some have "come out" because they have nothing to lose by doing so but the majority here seem to need the potection of anonymity. So if we need protection then there is a reason to distrust right at the foundation.

2. Most here are distrustful because they have exited or still exists in a cult filled with manipulation and lies. they don't want to be burned again.

3. Some here are unstable and inflammatory (will condemn and call you names faster than you can say your name).

4. Some here are just plain miserable. They feel sorry for themselves and they feel you should be hurting as much as they are so they will do their best to make you miserable too.

5. Some are experimenting with their thoughts, feelings and beliefs. They are not sure which way is up after leaving the WT. Be careful you might be the rat that is used for the experiment.

6. Some are mystics and rely on faith.

7. Some are hard nosed atheists (me for instance - although I find myself in most categories I listed).

8. Some are trolls

9. Some are just shit stirrers

10. Some are just cyber-leeches.

In spite of all this most of the people are real people when they leave the keyboard. Find the real people and get to know them. then you can learn to trust them.

PS - dont trust me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit