Why love God?

by joelbear 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

Dont you mean......xxx your brothers, WBTS

• Solace
    Solace

My J.W. family discouraged materialism but being obsessed with living in paradise always seemed so materialistic to me.
    They always went on and on about how perfect the world will be and how young and perfect our bodies will be, not about our personal realtionship with God or our spiritual lives. Its like, the only reason they were a J.W. was for selfish, reasons. If someone wasnt a believer, they would say, "well then, they just wont live forever in paradise". Not, "They wont have a close, spiritual relationship with God".

• Aunty
    Aunty

I don't know if I could really Love God. I believe there is a God, and I'm thankful he created me and this earth, but I don't think that automatically translates into love. I feel I have a relationship with him, but it's more of a platonic thing - I don't mean that as a joke either!!

I've often thought that if God exists and is the all-powerful creator, why should he give a rats a** if Satan challenges his authority? Why not just zap him, make an announcement to the rest of us - hey be good or else, and let us get on with the good life? Why hold back? To prove a point? Why? We know he's the top guy, why rub it in? Okay, now I'm just being naughty....

But seriously, I've always found it hard to really say I love God. It's more of acceptance of the way things are. But I want my reward too!

• COMF
    COMF

Why love Odin?

• teejay
    teejay

Should we love God and have faith in him because we are afraid of being annihilated if we don't?

We should love god as much as we fear the Boogey Man. Oh... my bad. God *is* the Boogey Man!

Should we love God so we can be paid for it by getting a "Mansion in the sky" or everlasting life or some other reward payment?

That's the idea. I've heard: "Service is the rent one pays to live in the New Order."

Nothing is free in this life. Or the next.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    I do not fear him.

What will God do to you if you disobey his word or stop beleiving in him though, aren't you scared of what he will to do you then? Or you just prefer not to think about it.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids
    Why love God?

Why indeed. For me, it's very simple, really. God is supposedly our 'parent'. Well, I'm a parent, created in god's image, right? There is absolutely no way that I, as a parent, could stand idly by and watch my children suffer the horrors of things like starvation, physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, disease, and accidents, to name a few. And not just watch for a little while, but for thousands upon thousands of years! Sorry, but that ain't love. That's evil. And all this evil to teach us a lesson? Well, it's been proven that humans learn best with positive reinforcement, not punishment or negative reinforcement. Wouldn't the maker of us all know this already??!

It's a moot point for me anyway; I've seen no conclusive evidence that god exists or, if it does, that it gives a rat's ass about humanity.

Dana

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Comf,

I do like Thor!!!

IW

• COMF
    COMF

Yeah, but Thor's cool. Wings on his helmet, wears sandals all the time, talks a funny kind of pseudo-King James language, beats up bad guys. If God was a Marvel Comix character, he'd be cool, too.

COMF

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

I love God because he promised Moses he would live in the promised lands, then didn't let him. I love God because he's so immature (according to most religion's understanding), that he requires our worship instead of just living out our lives.

If I were God, i would want to see my creation LIVE, not spend all their time suffering and being bored to death in some church. if i die, and God asks me why i have said these things, i will ask why he's let millions suffer, and why he gave us the right to free thought and then took away our right to use it. If i ever do love a God, it won't be the one from the Bible, I know that much.

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit