Why love God?

by joelbear 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• joelbear
    joelbear

Should we love God and have faith in him because we are afraid of being annihilated if we don't?

Should we love God so we can be paid for it by getting a "Mansion in the sky" or everlasting life or some other reward payment?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

As far as I can tell, the god of the bible wants you to love it because it is a jealous god.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Joel,

Should we love God and have faith in him because we are afraid of being annihilated if we don't?

Should we love God so we can be paid for it by getting a "Mansion in the sky" or everlasting life or some other reward payment?

No. I love God because I feel appreciation for this beautiful earth, what a marvel it is! I love God because he is my Father. I do not fear him.

As for the future, I look at it more as a natural consequence of birth rather than a reward for a path taken. Heavenly life is surely a gift but not a reward.

IW

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

I love Tinkerbell because she has a mighty fine looking wand!!

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

GD,

Good for you! Does that make you Peter Pan or Captain Hook!

IW

• RWC
    RWC

I love of God because he loves me. It has nothing to do with fear. Fear as stated in the Bible really refers in most cases to respect.

• Gopher
    Gopher

RWC,

Interesting definition, fear = respect. Sounds good on its face.

Can you explain fear in the context of Hebrews 12? I'll quote verses 25, 28 and 29:

"25 See that you do not beg off from him who is speaking. For if they did not escape...much more shall WE not if we turn away from him who speaks from heaven.... 28b ....render God sacred service with godly FEAR and awe. 29 For our God is also a consuming fire."
    The fear hear sounds like the quivering kind, as the comparison to fire indicates. We naturally have a fear of an uncontrolled (consuming) fire.

So the apostle Paul is telling us to serve God out of fear. Right?

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• gumby
    gumby

I remember when in the door to door work years ago a brother asked me if I would serve Jehovah if there was no reward.
    I remember feeling guilty when I thought about it cuz i thought.....I don't know if I would.

After a lot of thought on that....and it took a while....I felt that his question wasn't fair.

God made us in a way to want rewards when we try hard. If absolutly no reward was ever seen or you thought that no good could come from your efforts.....why would you try?

The same is true I think in a sense about fearing God.
    Suppose God said in the bible "Live like an animal, do what you want,....even hate me if you want, and I will still reward you with a blissful life of eternity....and I could care less...you still get the reward.

Why would you be good when it is so hard to be good?
    That would be like someone saying....you can work for me and I'll pay you or I can just give you money and you don't have to work if you would rather not work.

Does a man say nice things and do things for his wife because she will be upset if he dosen't? Yes. But he also WANTS to say nice things and do things for her as it makes him happy that she is happy with his efforts and happy herself.

I hope I made some sense and this helps ole bud.

• gumby
    gumby

Hello?

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Love me all ya want, but be sure to irrevocably transfer all your assets into my offshore trust first. I'll let you keep the liabilities. I'll absorb all that negative energy from your earthly assets for your betterment.

I am the great I am.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit