13 Days to until...

by jayhawk1 28 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Jayhawk,

I'm happy for you, buddy. I hope you have many, many happy years together. For some reason, weddings make me a little misty eyed, thinking... hoping... that the couple will love each other as the vows say... as their own bodies. I hope that works out for you.

You said,

I have been spending some of my time looking for the perfect words to express my love to Jessica in my wedding vows. Thank god for my word processor. I have typed and retyped my vows I don't know how many different ways.

a brief story...

I got married the second time at one of the city's finest hotels. I was still an active Witness then but the brothers told us that the Kingdom Hall was off limits – I was on restrictions. The courtyard of the hotel was surrounded by the twelve or thirteen stories of the hotel. People – strangers – could come out of their hotel rooms and see the wedding below, if they wished.

To see how our wedding would look like, my fiancée and I went to a wedding that was held there the weekend previous to ours. It was one of the very few non-JW weddings I've ever been to.

The ceremony was very simple. The Minister started by asking the assembled if there was anyone present who for any reason felt the two should not get married. He waited for an answer for what seemed like a long time. The silence got very loud. If there was anyone who objected, they had plenty of time to make it known.

He asked again... same question, and waited almost as long. No one said a word. Satisfied that the proceedings had the blessing of all assembled and with a few of the hotel's customers looking on from balconies above, he asked if there were rings. There were. He asked if there were words they'd like to exchange along with the rings. There were. The words were very simple and very powerful.

It was about the purest, most beautiful wedding I ever saw. All together, it lasted about seven or eight minutes. No pomp or high falutin' ceremony... just two people who promised to love each other always. And it was over.

I was stunned, not by how short it was, but how different and superior it was to all the JW weddings I'd seen. It will be an experience I will always remember – so simple, yet so beautiful.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Thanks one and all for wishing me well on my marriage. I wish it was possable to get all of you over here in Wichita Kansas for the wedding party.

The wedding will be a simple one. A couple will marry us, nobody is to dress up. (I don't ever want to wear a suit again.) We will get married at a park, because I don't ever want to be in a religious building ever again. That is one thing great about Jessica, she is very understanding.

Is this a light saber in my pocket or am I just happy to see you?

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

OOOo a park wedding :) sounds cool jer!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Bitter, thanks for writing! I will write you again soon.

Is this a light saber in my pocket or am I just happy to see you?

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• LDH
    LDH

Jayhawk,

I'm so glad for you! Make sure your soon to be wife knows it takes a real man to raise children that are not his! And I'm sure you're the 'involved parent' type--look out Jessica, LOL!

Please let us knwo how you're doiing and if poss. post wedding pix.

Love,
    Lisa

• JBean
    JBean

Many heartfelt congrats to you and your new bride & daughter!!!! Please post pictures showing your happy day if you can! : )

• crownboy
    crownboy

Congratulations Jayhawk.

I hope all goes well for you and your soon to be wife. You guys sound very much in love.

Just make sure you stay just as happy when Kansas gets beat by Florida in the Sweet Sixteen . It's not your fault that your team always chokes at tourney time, but I'm sure nothing can damper your wedding day anyway . Congrats again.

Go therefore and baptize the people in the name of the father and of the son... what the hell, we just need to bring up the yearbook numbers!

• Simon
    Simon

awe ... congrat's Jayhawk ! (and beepest sympathy to Jessica)

only kidding - I hope you are both very happy. Marriage is pretty ace.

• Mickey67214
    Mickey67214

Thank you all for your support. It's Jess and knowing that all of you have been here for Jeremy has been great. Like he has said before, If he haden't gotten out of the JW realm I whould not have been with Him. I can put it into word's how greatfull I am that all of you are here. Thank you so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit