How a Gay Jewish Boy from New England Came to Be and Leave the JWs (and what he did next)

by CalebInFloroda 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Shalom CalebinFloroda!

Muncho plazen. Komo estash?

Me yamo es LoisLane.

Adyo!

• jhine
    jhine

Hi Cif ,

What an interesting story . While reading it my mind was full of questions , so I am glad that Faye asked them in her post ! Your knowledge and experience are certainly going to liven up the site .

Jan

• fukitol
    fukitol
    Why do gay people have to put so much emphasis on their gayness for their identity as a human being? Do heterosexual people use the word 'heterosexual' as the first and foremost descriptor of themselves to others?
  • Zoos
    Zoos
    FUKITOL - Why do gay people have to put so much emphasis on their gayness for their identity as a human being? Do heterosexual people use the word 'heterosexual' as the first and foremost descriptor of themselves to others?

Did you grow up terrified to be yourself as a result of your sexual orientation? Heteros are largely able to just be themselves given their own sexuality has never been an issue, question, or a point of ridicule, shame, abuse.

When a young (or older) gay person finally finds his or her feet, YES, the establishment of one's gay identity is important, at least in the beginning. Standing up and saying, "This is who I am" is new and necessary for many adult gays and lesbians.

If you've never lived it and have no capacity for empathy, you are invited to be seated... and silent.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Welcome Caleb, interesting story. I too come from a Jewish family in North London and took part in religious customs growing up.

Glad you made it out thecult.

Kate xx

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

FayeDunaway,

I decided to dismiss myself of the JW notions of "faith," and basically adopt the Jewish view of "G-d," and it doesn't fit the normal Christian norms at all.

Jews don't teach a concept of "belief" or mental acknowledgement in God or any of their doctrines. Unlike Christianity, "belief" holds no special power or reward for the Jew. This is likely what James was building upon when he used the illustration: "You believe in one God, am I right? All and good, but so do the demons, and their belief gives them a feeling of doom." (James 2.19) James' epistle, say scholars, was written to Jewish Christians, and their theology was built upon belief that only the Gentiles were free from observation of the Law. (Acts 21.15-26) To be brief, Jews don't believe in God as much as they respond to God.

That is why you have Jews who are atheist, agnostic, Buddhist, secular, Orthodox, Reform, and even Hebrew Catholic. The question is not whether God is real, but whether one chooses to trust or believe in God. Regardless of how one responds, you remain a Jew (though some argue this point). Thus at your Passover Seder you will find all of these Jews at the same table. The Abrahamic covenant entitles Jews to a place in the world to come, or so they believe, thus there is no need for a salvation doctrine and therefore no amount of mental acceptance that this or that is real has any affect.

Jews argue with the God Concept and have been doing so since the days of Abraham who debated with God and Jacob who wrestled with God's messenger. We get up in God's face like did Job, and even abandon him when the going gets tough like the apostles did in the person of Jesus Christ. All relationships are like this (by the way I am currently single). None stay at a constant, and none are automatically over just because one side stumbles or chooses to relate to the other in a different manner.

Slowly Jews are just beginning to accept that some of their number can be followers of Jesus of Nazareth and still remain Jews as long as they are Torah observant or, if secular, do not abandon their cultural identity. Since the 1960s the Roman Catholic Church has quietly re-established a Church in Jerusalem made up of "Hebrew-speaking Catholics who live among the Jews culture." This wording of theirs translates to Jews who are Christian but still live like Jews. My relatives follow the unique customs and religious calendar of this group.

This is why my siblings and I left so easily and completely. Regardless of how one responds to the concept of G-d, leaving such a rich culture as our family built to exchange it for the dry and boring JW Watchtower world was just stupid. I have a brother who is atheist, but that doesn't change how we live and celebrate life together. The rich family ties of uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents were not severed, and one by one we kids just gravitated away from our parents who literally destroyed themselves with drugs and self hatred.

Since simple mental belief has no value to Jews, there is no argument about whether one believes this or that. Some among us accept Jesus as Messiach and others do not. Without the "faith=salvation" in our culture, it's no big deal. If there is a God say Jews, then God is going to save us because God loves us, not because we merely mentally acknowledge he exists or not. You don't have to believe someone exists for that person to exist or love you.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Shalom Lois Lane,

Encantado. Soy bien, munchas gracias.

Dio bendiga.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Fukitol

I only bring up my sexual orientation for this story because it is about being what JWs said I could never be. It is not meant to project any negativity to people of other orientations (and my responses to DJS at the beginning were tongue-in-cheek regarding another exchange and misunderstanding we settled before I wrote my story).

In reality, my sexual orientation, ethnicity, current convictions, etc. mean nothing really. They are mentioned here to remind others that whatever you are, whoever you are, the Watchtower is wrong if they judge you adversely for it.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Hey KateWild,

Out of the cult but still in the Tribe! Cool.

Peace.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Post script to LoisLane,

How did you get your Ladino spellings in your response so easily? I am on an iPad and I struggled just to write the little I did, and I still couldn't get it all just right. I both love and hate my auto-correct feature, but mostly hate it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit