Scriptures JWs Would Prefer to Ignore

by Room 215 38 Replies latest jw friends

• jerome
    jerome

Did anybody checkout the URL here it is again.

In defence of the NWT.

http://users.eggconnect.net/noddy3/pageindex.htm

The Bible is a two edged sword wield it for evil and it you may get hurt.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Insummary, this is the list that we've drawn up of texts that Witnesses have difficulty with:

Proverbs 14:17b
    Ecclesiastes 1:18
    Ecclesiastes 12:12
    Isaiah 43:10
    Isaiah 44:24
    Joel 1:15
    Joel 2:28
    Amos 5:18
    Zephaniah 1:7

Matthew 8:11
    Matthew 28:20

Luke 16:19-31
    Luke 17:21
    Luke 20:27-47
    Luke 21:8
    Luke 24:34

John 1:1
    John 2:19
    John 3:3
    John 6:51
    John 8
    John 14:2
    John 20:28

Acts 2:17

Romans 8:14
    Romans 11:26-31

1 Corinthians 10:1,11

Galatians 3:11
    Galatians 5:14
    Galatians 6:1-2

Colossians 1:16

1 Thessalonians 4:16

1 Timothy 2:5,6

1 Peter 4:17

James 5:8

Jude 18

Revelation 1:1,3,17-18
    Revelation 5;10Revelation 13:11,12
    Revelation 14:7
    Revelation 22:12-13

Quite a list!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• patio34
    patio34

I know this is a thread about JW theology only, however, to put my two cents in, this verse would seem to offer all fundies a problem.

Gen. 1:30 states that all creation ate green vegetation. The dinosaurs certainly had meat-eaters in their group and pre-dated the Genesis verse. Even the microbes are 'meat-eaters.'

That realization started me on the road to "looking to nature" and coming up with what seems to be more truthful. The violence in nature seems to me to have nothing to do with "Adam's sin" and gives evidence of mindless evolution rather than a loving creator.

Pat

WTBS: Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
  • meomy
    meomy

IN RESPONSE TO ISAIAH 33:10-14. ..I also saw this scripture when doing my bible reading and thought it quite interesting the way it was translated in my Comparitive Study Bible. Notice NWT translated Godless as Apostates....In the dictionary the two words mean quite different things! But in the Hebrew lanquage I am unsure??

NWT Isaiah 33:14 In Zion the sinners have come to be dread;shivering has grabbed hold of the APOSTATES: 'Who of us can reside for any time with a devouring fire? Who of us can reside for any time with long-lasting conflagrations?

King James Isaiah 33:14
    The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath suprised the HYPOCRITES. ....

NASV Isaiah 33:14
    Sinners in Zion are terrified; Trembling has seized the godless...

NIV Isaiah 33:14
    The sinners in Zion are terrified; trembling grips the godless:...

Another scripture i found different is JOHN 17:3

NWT John 17:3 ( This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you,...

NIV John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they may know you,...

NASV John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know thee,...

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Lets see the WT has said the ressurection has alread occured both in 1881 and then moved to 1918 and in both dates thay have said that the evidence what possitive proof that these date were true.

2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase
    to more ungodliness.
    2:17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is
    Hymeneus and Philetus;
    2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the
    resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • Adonai438
    Adonai438

Hey Jerome--
    I have an article on the NWT that may have te quotes by the supposed other scholars for you. If I remember correctly from my research,
    The NWT committee does quote other scholars but out of context, surprise surprise. Thes legitimate scholars were quite annoyed at the misquotes that they even wrote letters to the WTBS. I've been using my scanner to convert the article(small pamphlet size) to computer form and I can send it to you if you'd like :) <>< ANGIE

Patio34-
    As to the Genesis verse, the age of dinosaurs can be debated based on several scientific facts. While most dinosaurs may pre-date the writing of Genesis they do not pre-date the content of Genesis.
    If the literal creation account is accurate (as I believe it is scientificly provable) Dinosaurs do not go against scripture. After the flood meat-eating is said to have begun-- and dinosaurs existed after the flood too. Therefore the existance of meat-eating dinosaurs does not contradict the account in the Bible. Noah was commanded to take two of every animal into the ark so he yes, he took the dinosaurs as well. Dinosaurs are refered to in the Bible-not by that name- but creatures described the same way. My 2cents

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'd like to go back to this one posted by YoYoMa

<<HERE IS ONE THAT WE DON'T IGNORE, BUT APOSTATES WOULD LOVE FOR IT TO GO AWAY:
    *** Rbi8 Isaiah 33:10-14 ***
    10 “Now I will rise up,” says Jehovah, “now I will exalt myself; now I will lift myself up. 11 YOU people conceive dried grass; YOU will give birth to stubble. YOUR own spirit, as a fire, will eat YOU up. 12 And peoples must become as the burnings of lime. As thorns cut away, they will be set ablaze even with fire. 13 Hear, YOU men who are far away, what I must do! And know, YOU who are nearby, my mightiness. 14 In Zion the sinners have come to be in dread; shivering has grabbed hold of the apostates: ‘Who of us can reside for any time with a devouring fire? Who of us can reside for any time with long-lasting conflagrations?’>>

Hmmm verse 14 - very good Now what if the actual sinners who come to be in dread are in reality the GB and those who write the WT literare and policy. Just how long will the org continue to exist once they are found out to be the ones in dread? Wolves amid the sheep. Works for me

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

David,

Lets see the WT has said the ressurection has alread occured both in 1881 and then moved to 1918.

Is it not 1919 now?....Still what is one measly year when you can make things up as you go along.....lol

HS

• Scully
    Scully

Romans 14:1-6 Welcome the [man] having weaknesses in [his] faith, but not to make decisions on inward questionings. One [man] has faith to eat everything, but the [man] who is weak eats vegetables. Let the one eating not look down on the one not eating, and let the one not eating not judge the one eating, for God has welcomed theat one. Who are you to judge the house servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand for Jehovah can make him stand. One [man] judges one day as above another; another [man] judges one day as all others; let each [man] be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day observes it to Jehovah. Also he who eats, eats to Jehovah, for he gives thanks to god; and he who does not eat does not eat to Jehovah, and yet gives thanks to God.

I love using this scripture when a JW starts criticizing about the observance of holidays and birthdays. They don't know how to respond to it.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit