Born-ins (childhood memories)

by tornapart 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

"I remember not being able to eat Mars bars, Three muskateers, milkyways because they contained lethicin which was alledgedly made out of blood"

Well, that's a new one! Never heard that one before! That just tells you how twisted and bogus this "only true religion" really is, if for a fact the JWs didn't believe in eating those candy bars then how come all the Dubs weren't "on the same page" about this?

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

yeah, I remember the lecithin thing. We were not allowed to eat red licorice for that reason.

And I was at the Vancouver 8-day marathon, too.

I remember not being allowed to go to my father with any issues because he was not a dub and if I were to share anything I might have done or thought that was non-JW approved, it would have reflected badly on the religion. So he was always a stranger to me. Still is.

I remember having to sit during a Memorial Day celebration and having the teacher reprimand me afterwards. She told me her husband and son had been killed in the war and she couldn't understand why I would not want to show respect for that.

I remember feeling obnoxiously self righteous and superior. We had the truth after all. We could behave any way we liked. I wish I could slap myself now for how I must have behaved at times.

• perfect1
    perfect1

I remember being read to at night from my book of bible stories. Not fun to fall asleep to the Rape of Dinah.

As the daughter of an elder who traveled to give talks on Sundays, I was told to be a good example, which meant I had to sit very still in my lacey frou frou dresses, and of course, keep my knees together. Bonus was eating out for lunch. I felt proud of my dad and better than everyone.

Bonus for attending conventions was the hotel swimming pool- the only vacation we ever took. It was always very hot and miserable.

everyday having to stand up in class and NOT salute the flag.

holidays were "just another day" except everything was closed.

having no friends my own age and hanging out w weird older JWs.

All the being different made me so wrongfully arrogant.

At a certain point, maybe 12, sitting at the meetings began to cause me terrible back pain and I started to fill up notebooks with what looked like notes but were actually reasoned arguments against the point being presented. My mom was furious when she realized what I had been doing.

She looked at me with so much fear and hatred when I said I didn't believe.

• eva luna
    eva luna

I remember the lecithen thing too. Also sitting in the office with the naughty kids during holidays.

My first negative memorie was before , my parent telling me to memorize the scripture about the repeating of prayers.

I was told to tell my Grandmother that she would die in Armegedon for this. I was only 5 and I loved her very much.

This is so messed up . What small child should have to imagine their grandmother's death?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The fear of meeting one of your schoolmates while out in service was probably the worst.

The kids also thought I was a lesbian because I couldn't show any interest in boys

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The fear of meeting one of your schoolmates while out in service was probably the worst.

The kids also thought I was a lesbian because I couldn't show any interest in boys

• Heaven
    Heaven

I used to have Armageddon and demon nightmares. I knew I wasn't good enough to survive Armageddon.

The teen years were tough for a number of reasons including the fact that I was awakening to the Borg's BS. I learned that you can't always talk to your parents about things.

I remember around grade 10 when the went on about 'not having to go to high school'. But day-um!.... there I was... smack dab in the middle of high school.

There is one thing this Organization should never do... and that is, tell lies to children. A child's bullshit meter is well honed. And they don't forget.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    "I remember not being able to eat Mars bars, Three muskateers, milkyways because they contained lethicin which was alledgedly made out of blood"

Oh yeah, my older brother was collecting candy bars to see about the lecithin thing; my cousin was over one day, and we just ate those candy bars.

He was angry, and told us he was not eating them because they had 'blood' in them.

We were a little freaked out, but not for long.

They were some yummy candy bars.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Wow, I had forgotten sitting out birthday parties and holiday parties, I always went to the library. I was happier there anyway; I read all the time when I was a kid, escaping I think.

I would pick up a book before school in the morning, and read it through classes, turn it in end of day.

Sci fi mostly.

My most unpleasant memory of an assembly was being very young, and getting hemmed in by the crowd going after new releases; I still get a little claustrophobic thinking about looking up into the crush of people.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Being forced to go out on field service on Saturday and Sunday mornings. All I wanted to do was stay home and watch Saturday morning cartoons. My favorite show was The Littles but I only got to watch two episodes cause I had to go preaching. I tried pretending I was sick, but it didn't work. The worst thing is, as a kid you start to feel like something is wrong with you because you dont like field service.

As an adult with thinking skills I can recognize the BS: All powerful God is going to destroy everyone who doesn't serve him, but it's MY responsability to warn everyone. And if I don't warn them and they die, it's MY fault. WTF?????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit