How Many Stars Are There?

by Cameron_Don 18 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thats your job Thomas...his job is counting and naming stars...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Number of stars in our galaxy estimated at around 10 11 . Number of sand grains on beaches of the world estimated at around 10 17-18 . Number of stars in the observable universe estimated at around 10 21-22 . Number of atoms in the human body estimated at around 10 27 . Number of particles in the observable universe estimated at around 10 80 .

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I have heard that there are more stars in the Universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. That's an awful lot of stars! Does the Bible say somewhere that Jehovah calls each one of them by name - or something like that?

The Bible does say that. And in the same verse it claims that "not one of them is missing". Clearly the primitive luddite who wrote it had no idea that stars die all the time, and that many of the stars from which we see the light aren't even there anymore. So much for 'inspiration'.

• John Kesler
    John Kesler

The Genesis-1 creation account also shows no awareness of the size or number of the stars. The sun and moon are referred to as the "two great lights" (NRSV), while the stars are mentioned as an aside.

14 And God said, ‘Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth.’ And it was so. 16 God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars.
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well, P also thought that the earth was formed earlier than the sun and moon. Not scientific, but reflects a typical geocentric bias that the sun exists to serve the needs of the earth.

• apostatethunder
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I have heard that there are more stars in the Universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches in the world.

Here is where the stars are likened to the grains of sand-

Gen 22:17 " I shall bless you abundantly and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky or the grains of sand on the seashore"

• cantleave
  • Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Number of particles in the observable universe estimated at around 10 80

Unrelated to the topic, but from what I understand, one of the practical reasons scientific calculators are limited to 10 99 ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit