Watchtower using YouTube to preach to the deaf in Australia

by cedars 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aware!
    Aware!

I was asking because when I read I hear my voice. They have never heard any spoken language so they don't associate words with sounds like we do.

• Iamallcool
  • Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

We have 2 active deaf JWN members right here. Scott77 and me. I have not seen White Dove much here lately. Unfortunately, we did have a deaf beggar here on JWN but he was never a witness, he even went out with Mouthy to Ex Jw Convention. He also comments at the Mormon Board as well. I forgot his username. Sorry if I went off topic, just fyi. Edited: I now remember his username now, Yizuman.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

The vast majority of the videos are Auslan versions of the Bible Story book - nothing too alarming overall - certain chronological elements are off, naturally, but no hard dates are given. In the main, any serious indoctrination or agenda shows up at the end of the book and in the 'Additional questions' part which sometimes gets the student/child to apply the Bible story to JW life and situations.

There are Auslan dramatic Bible readings which look 'harmless.' The others are sign language versions of the When Someone You Love Dies and Would You Like to Know the Truth? - the latter one being the hard sell, I guess.

To add: Is the Auslan one officially sponsored by the WTS of Aus. or is it just one enthusiastic brother's project? I think the latter - he might be deaf himself.

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

There is a big push to contact deaf persons at the moment, with groups being set up to form a basis for future congregations.

From July KM:

When searching for the deaf, you could say: “Hello. May I show you something? [Using a portable DVD player, play a Bible verse from a British Sign Language DVD.] This is a verse from the Bible in British Sign Language. We have a number of DVDs available at no charge that are designed to meet the spiritual needs of deaf people. Do you know of anyone who is deaf or hard of hearing and who uses sign language?” If the householder cannot remember anyone, it is often good to give examples of places where he may have seen a deaf person, such as at work, at school, or in the neighborhood.

Field

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Many of the hard of hearing and deaf can read but the biggest issue is that sentence structure is different from language to language. I am speaking from a brief background in ASL. I entered it thinking that it was like spoken language but it's not. Sign is more like concepts and some vocabulary used to portray an idea. It's actually rather disturbing that the society has so much material available in sign because translation to sign is COMPLETELY open to interpretation. They can say whatever they want. It's a beautiful language tho.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Matthew chapter 7 in ASL is pretty amazing tho. Check it out on the jw.org website. That dude is an amazing signer.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just confirming what AnonJW said. Family told me about a big Service Meeting item about " The Search Work"....seeking out the deaf and recording the address for R V by a signer. I guess if you are deaf and someone comes and signs to you, then you are liable to take more notice? I guess that there are a lot of lonely deaf ones out there ...

What was that ? "Play a vid on a personal D V D player? sounds like when they used gramophones way back! How much more tech must a publisher buy?

Hee Hee! that signer in the OP is hillarious

• cedars
    cedars

Another channel, this one apparently for Mexican Sign Language...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHI6aRql928

Cedars

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

More evidence to prove the true identity of the Slave (Matt 24:45)

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.- 1 Cor 9:19-23

14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” [ g ] - Romans 10: 14, 15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit