2012 Our Kingdom Ministry, October!

by Atlantis 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• besty
    besty

childrens book aimed at 7-9 year olds...

http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Life-Bible-Times-Archaeology/dp/1592981801

interesting the cherry-picked quote from the book includes the time period (4pm ' til late - beat that, 7-11) but not the activity - would like to see the rest of that sentence in context...maybe somebody could email Dr Gaber and ask:

[email protected]

http://www.lycoming.edu/archaeology/viewProfile.aspx?id=145

PAMELA GABER

Professor of Archaeology and Judaic Studies Director of Archaeological Field School in Cyprus

Dr. Pamela Gaber, Professor of Archaeology and Religion at Lycoming College, is a world-renowned expert in sculpture typology and pottery chronology (the tracking of the development of pottery types).

After earning a Ph.D. in ancient art and archaeology from Harvard University, Gaber spent seven years as an assistant professor of art history at the University of New Hampshire. She also served on the faculty at the University of Arizona, where she taught Near Eastern studies. Gaber is the author of several publications, most recently the volume Idalion III: Excavations on the Terrace of the East Acropolis and a children's book, Daily Life in Bible Times: What Archaeology Tells Us.

In 2008 she published an article, "The History of History: Excavations at Idalion and the Changing History of a City Kingdom," in Near Eastern Archaeology vol. 71 nos. 1-2 March-June 2008. This article, whose focus is our changing understanding of history, has been picked up by the Encyclopedia Brittanica Online.

During the fall semester, Gaber teaches the senior seminar Archaeological Theory and Method and two courses in Judaic studies. She is a firm believer in field work training for undergraduates in archaeology. Each summer she directs the Lycoming College Expedition to Idalion from her home in Alambra, Cyprus.

Dig Sites:
    Gaber is the Director of the Lycoming College Excavation at Idalion Cyprus. She began her excavating career digging in Israel for several years. She has been directing the excavations and field school at Idalion since 1987.

• Poztate
    Poztate

According to the book Daily Life in Bible Times, the apostle Paul typically shared in

the house-to-houseministry "from 4 p.m. till far into the night."

My mouth dropped open when I saw that quote. They really do live in their own little world...

I noticed the part in quotes started at "from" and not at house to house ministry. I wonder why..

Maybe because the bible never talked about house to house ministry

Hopefully someone will get hold of this book and discuss it in context not snippets.

Strange how the bible has always said this and the dubs are only picking it up now from an outside obscure source..

Anyway...pilot project for them to try. We live in a 24 hour society so.....

Detroit.... 2 AM A small group of dedicated dubs are driving around looking for houses with light on...

They find one and rush to the door, knocking loudly... Open up we have something important to tell you they say..

I am sure a new "free home book study"™ will be in the offing.... LOL

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

" Although the Congregation BookStudy arrangement has ended, Jehovah continues to provide everything we need to do his will. (Heb. 13:20, 21) Under Jehovah’s care, we lack nothing. (Ps. 23:1) Many blessings are available through our field service group. If we take the initiative and ‘sow bountifully,’ we will “reap bountifully.” —2 Cor. 9:6."
    Boy, they sure know how to mind-control feeble minds into thinking it ALL comes from Jehovah! Jesus Christ! How naive can one get???

• Poztate
    Poztate

I just recalled that in the mid to late 50,s ? they had a big push for evening FS.

We were scheduled to go out for an hour or so before the BS at 8:00

Not very many liked that idea and very few took part where I lived.

This was at a time where many people, dubs and non worked a 48 hr week.

A working dub had no life then at all...Not much better for them now

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Thanks

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

You know what gets me? If any of the rank and file should, on their own, read a book such as Daily Life in Bible Times, to help them better understand the Bible, then they would be hogtied and hanged for reading 'apostate' material.

The Service Committee and GB can read all sorts of non-WT material... but God help the low-class Witness who wants to expand his knowlege of the Bible by reading something outside the WT Library. Forbidden!

Hypocrisy... that's all it is! Grrrrrrrrr!

• baltar447
    baltar447

d'oh

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

THe scripture 1 cor 9:19 - Paul was saying he would actually become and join in with other groups to teach them. If he was alive today, he would be going to Catholic churches and 'pretending' to be catholic to talk to them. He would blend in with many different types of people. I love how they take that and somehow try to make it say evening service lol.

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

On October 22 the No.3 talk is "Imitate Jesus by Despising Shame -Heb. 12:2".

How ironic! Shaming people back into submission is one of the org's greatest tactics.

Thanks WT, I think I'll use Hebrews 12:2 the next time one of your elder-agents tries to shame me back into the fold! Hey! I'll ignore them and say I'm imitating Jesus!

• sir82
    sir82

It's more likely the book "Daily Life in Bible Times" is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Bible-Albert-Edward-Bailey/dp/B0007DO93E

...which is a nearly 70-year-old book.

I can't find much on it - seems to be a rather forgotten, probably forgettable, book.

I can't even find an online biography of the author, Albert Edward Bailey. Not exactly a "prominent" scholar - can't say on whether he really was a "scholar" or not. Given the WT standards, it seems a doubtful proposal.

What is most likely is that some old WT article from 60 or 65 years ago quoted from the book, back when it might still have been somewhat relevant, and some WT Service Dept. lackey did "research" consisting of "paraphrase an old WT article" to make a point for the KM article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit