This system is not all bad.

by Inisc 22 Replies latest jw friends

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Thanks lnisc, I have added the site to my favourites.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

What JWs call 'this system' isn't a particular culture, or society at a particular time. Their definition of 'this system' is nothing other than 'reality'. Reality isn't good or evil or magical. It just is. The 'system' JWs 'hope' for is nothing but a delusion. Unfortunately, it is a delusion that is propped up as 'acceptable' not only because of their own odd beliefs, but also because it is in like company with many other religious delusions about heaven and hell, spirits and and other various nonsense that are broadly considered 'normal'.

• mindseye
    mindseye

Jeffro, I also agree that the system that JWs hope for is a delusion. To get a little Buddhist about it, JWs attachment to suffering springs from their desire for a reality that is not.

As for the Witness argument that things are getting 'so bad' in societal terms, I say it's a simplistic argument to begin with. Sure, some things are getting bad. There's a certain sense of alienation about the postmodern world that leads some people to shoot up a theatre or temple, for instance. Also, for the first time in history, you have drastically different cultures and communities living side by side, and this leads to conflict. But even if much is 'getting bad', it doesn't mean the JWs are right about reality.

On the flipside, life expectancy is longer than every before, comfort level is better, and health is better (in much of the world, anyway). At one time, even minor dental problems could lead to death. And as far as society is concerned, the world is a much better place than 50 years ago if you're a woman, black person, or gay person.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

moshe >> JWs truly believe that "temporary alien residents" teaching whereby everybody takes care of them.

• moshe
    moshe

bats- taking care of JWs means something different to the householder--

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting BBC article on "the cult of TED".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18511696

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

What I find even more amazing than the idea that "this system is not all bad" is the fact that there is no "this system"!

It's amazing how just a short phrase like this has divided up the entire universe in the minds of millions of witnesses for decades.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

"There is no spoon"

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think it depends how you define bad. If God is good and the only ones serving God are JW's then the system is all bad.

• James Brown
    James Brown

This systems the only one we have.

It's good when we can say its not that bad.

Got to keep it on the good foot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit