This system is not all bad.

by Inisc 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Inisc
    Inisc

Hi, everyone.

For many jws all they ever hear about is how wicked the world is and how it has gotten even worse lately. The media does not help either.

And even for many ex jws who still have family who are still in, we have to listen to all that doom and gloom about the end of this system.

But, I would just like to recommend a website I found, (not sure if that violates jwn rules)

Goodnewsnetwork.org

Its not religious at all, but is a news source of many heartwarming stories and news articles from all over the world that show just how wonderful life and and people can be.

I find it's a great antidote to remind us that the whole world is not wicked and in fact wickedness is still in the minority!

Just wanted to share.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, I fiercly look for the good, too.

I think the media is addicted to the shocking because that's the sort of news that sells. It is good to keep in mind that if it is shocking, it also means, hopefully, it is rare.

I like the Ted talks, too.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Heh, that reminds me of a JW relative who, no matter what the topic, feels it's acceptable to launch into her diatribe of how evil this system of things is, and how it's getting so much worse...

We could be talking about how the air quality has gotten appreciably better since when we were all kids, living in LA in the late 60's, due to tighter air quality standards (we had smog days, where visibility dropped to where you couldn't see 5 miles away, couldn't go out to play during recess, your lungs would HURT in the evening, and you'd cough/hack, etc, etc). So even after everyone agreed that it's gotten better, she'd conclude by saying, "things are getting soooo much worse...." as if the presence of smog 40 yrs ago still counts against Satan's evil system, and he gets no credit apparently for addressing the problem.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

That's a great concept to report some good news. Much of the mainstream media is sensationalised, and negative stories are always going to evoke more reaction, and therefore, sell better.

But good or bad, there will never be any other 'system' (in the JW context), so people had better get used to this one, and, just maybe, do something to improve it.

Thanks.

• moshe
    moshe

I sat in on a KH meeting about six months ago- the brother gave a talk about how the world loves JWs- because they are so moral and honest- why muggers will pass right on by JWs on the street- 'cause they respect them. The bobble head JWs were lapping it up. I told a couple of them after the meeting- that the world sees JWs as selfish people who will take all the help they can from their community and the government, but give nothing back in volunteer work. (shaking heads- disagreeing looks)- tell me, when was the last time that JWs did a quick build homeless shelter, food pantry or built a habitat for humanity house for a non-Jw family--

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Moshe said:

why muggers will pass right on by JWs on the street- 'cause they respect them.

I guess they have to reinvent the old "two burly angels" urban legend into different forms: funny how JWs fall for variants of the same story, every time....

It's just like those Nigerian e-mail scammers who realize they're catching fewer patsies with their scam, so change the story to something slightly different (not the son of the King of Nigeria who needs to launder some cash out of country , but a businessman in Nigeria who needs to move some money).

• jgnat
    jgnat

The "worldly" people I knew who had befriended Jehovah's Witnesses thought them to be great partiers.

• Inisc
    Inisc

A few months ago I was having to make small talk with an elderly jw, and of course all he ended up talking about was jw things,

And as he was proclaiming this system was in the very last days and it can't be long, only a few years left at most he said, how wicked the world is and how its financally down the toilet. Across the street from us was a young mother walking while her adorable little child happily riding her little bike. To see that innocence was heartwarming to me to see that there is love and goodness in the world.

They can't see it tho. Neither did many of us when we were in.

But it's there.

• moshe
    moshe

you know what is ironic?

JWs preach that God's Kingdom is the only hope for mankind-- and yet they use all of the benefits caesar has to offer- especially when JWs fall on hard times, casear takes care of their needs, not God and certainy not the KH-- and when they get sick, worldly medicine/doctors/hospitals (we have Catholic, Jewish, Baptist hospitals- but no WT hospitals) cures them-- and when they get old- casear's state/federal/corp penions/social security, medical care and elderly assitance provides for most JWs needs-- not God and not the KH or WT wealth.. They trash the world, but have their hand out at the same time-- so much for living by faith.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They trash the world, but have their hand out at the same time-- so much for living by faith.

If not for the Welfare State and the charitable foundations of The World, most under-educated, under-achiever JWs would starve. Perhaps this is why they do not believe in "survival of the fittest".

The WTS is the same way. They take and take and take. Tax free status. Tax deductible donations. Etc Etc.

What do they ever give back to society? 32 pages 16 pages of 6-grade level crap that discourages any advancement in a person's life.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit