Will they get rid of the FDS concept?

by Hermano 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quendi
    Quendi

The FDS concept is not only essential to the leadership of the WTS because it enables them to wield power, but also to the rank-and-file Witnesses themselves. They have repeatedly been told that the Bible knowledge they now have came as a direct result of associating with “Jehovah’s earthly organization”, and that organization has been placed into the hands of the FDS because it is part of Christ’s earthly belongings. And Christ promised to elevate the “slave” to have charge of those belongings once he returned.

Again and again Witnesses are asked, “Where else can you go and learn all these marvelous truths except ‘Jehovah’s earthly organization’?” They firmly believe that. They believe that everything the WTS publishes, down to the songbook in use, is “spiritual food” and they would starve if they left. Since they have lost their power of reason and free will in these matters, they can’t even consider the possibility that the Governing Body is lying to them, that there is no “faithful and discreet slave class”, and that they have to ‘work out their own salvation’.

And there is also the plain fact that many people are simply too spiritually and intellectually lazy to do the work themselves. It’s so much easier to sit back and let others do it for you and take no responsibility for your own life. As long as the “slave” is in charge, all they have to do is sit back, relax, go along for the ride and before they know it, they’ll be in “the new system”! That has powerful appeal to many Witnesses. So the FDS will last as long as the WTS does. They are inextricably linked now.

Quendi

• Hermano
    Hermano

Guess you guys are right.

I was just thinking this morning about what a ridiculous idea it is. And how weak the scriptural support for it is. But really not any more ridiculous than a lot of other ideas which at one time I completely believe and defended. That's why I say once the blinders come off it's hard to think like someone who is still asleep.

So I take it the magazines and other indoctrination methods are still using FDS/Governing Body/Organization/God almost interchangeably?

• Gayle
    Gayle

Since 2011 had 11,824 partakers, I am guessing, since it has been increasing in recent years, that there will be 12,000 at least this year.

Who of these could/would ever be able to fill GB shoes?

Again just guessing, since the majority are females, since females are about at 60% of JWs, and they have absolutely 'no authoritive' value to the WTS/GB, that would bring it down to:

4,800. I would guess that half of these have "oddities" even by JW standards, or "mental problems." Brings it down to:

2,400. Since some are in 'foreign' countries and probably don't speak a good English, guessing maybe half(?) Brings it down to:

1,200. 'Most' of these are way 'too old' already. Brings down to:

300. Most of these probably haven't been JWs as long by comparison, nor been in 'special' service of pioneer, missionary, Bethel, circuit/district work. Some may have even been DF'd at some time, but reinstated.

This FDS is an enigma, a phantom.

• cedars
    cedars

Hermano

So I take it the magazines and other indoctrination methods are still using FDS/Governing Body/Organization/God almost interchangeably?

Absolutely. They have done for as long as I can remember, and will continue to do so.

Like I said, I know exactly where you're coming from with your question. Unfortunately, you're assuming that cults operate under the principles of logic and transparency!!

Cedars

• Hermano
    Hermano
    Unfortunately, you're assuming that cults operate under the principles of logic and transparency!!

Cedars, the problem is I'm on the outside looking in. When I was in I believed it without thinking about it. Now I think about it and wonder how those who are still in believe it!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

As a Witness myself, I woke up to the contradiction of the teaching & application of Matthew 24:45 quite some time ago, namely, that the Governing Body has numerous earthly-hoper "helpers" who write all the articles and provide "food at the proper time" - they don't personally do it! ( w924/15p.31 AssistanceforGoverningBodyCommittees)

Therefore, if only those with the heavenly-hope were assigned the task, then these writing committee members are demonstrating haughtiness in the extreme by accepting duties assigned only to the "priesthood".

Also, earthly-hopers have as much or little insight of the scriptures as the heavenly-hopers, as can be seen by searching the CD ROM!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

They'll never get rid of this concept, it is a core part of their doctrine and is central to everything, that they, a group of men, were chosen by Jehovah God to command 7 million followers.

If they do away with this, the whole pyramid will come crashing down.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

As long as the “slave” is in charge, all they have to do is sit back, relax, go along for the ride and before they know it, they’ll be in “the new system”!

Quendi, probably the most succinct summary of JW mentality and life I've seen so far...

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

I agree with Quendi that it is an important concept also for the rank-and-files.

Of course I can only speak for myself. I have been hearing this "word" from infancy, and I just learned it as any other word. If you learn that a table is called "table" you don't question what the meaning of the word is. The same was it with the "faithful-and-discreet-slave". I have the impression that it was mentioned quite often. Even if one doesn't understand the meaning, you can't take it away, I think it would shake people up - they might even start thinking.

I didn't think about the concept, or the word, until I heard and read it in a different language than my native language...

• Hermano
    Hermano
    If they do away with this, the whole pyramid will come crashing down.

I dont know about that truthseeker. How many JW's today know or care that the FDS concept is also linked to God choosing them in 1919?

The can always lean on Jesus choosing 12 disciples to continue the work after him, and just as Paul and Barnabas went to the elders in Jerusalem to seek guidance on the circumcision issue, today the GB are modern day elders of Jerusalem.

As has been pointed out, there is no reason to do this, but I don't believe the whole pyramid will come crashing down because of it. I've got to hand it to them, they have quite a robust series of ideas to maintain their grip on the "publishers".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit