Why would you make an 83 yr old woman go out in service????

by loosie 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• loosie
    loosie

I am trying to contact my mothers elders in Riverside CA, because my mother doesn't talk to her family. Since that means at least 12 phone calls to various KH's I thought I'd start with my aunt to see what the name of the congegation is. unfortunatly she didn't know. but what she did tell was....

That in April my mother had fainted while out in service. My mother is 83 and has had both knees replaced and very forgetful. Now she can't write or follow conversations. Why do they need a woman like this to go out in service to place their literature? There is no reason my mother should be pounding the pavement for them.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

O I know it's ridiculous. If you look at from a control perspective though it all makes sense. So many WT, Awake and yearbook reports about elderly and disabled pioneering despite so many obstacles. All carefully choreographed to make you feel like a lousy sack of shit; and guilt you to giving more to the borg.

I remember uber zealous brothers making a big todo about getting the elderly out in service...because they are so sad they could not do what they used too how encouraging this is to them, what a load!

• Ding
    Ding

This thread points out the key difference between biblical Christianity and the WT religion.

Biblical Christianity focuses on grace -- salvation through receiving by faith the benefits of Christ's atoning sacrifice.

By contrast, the WT is all about works -- continually proving your worthiness and dedication to God by your works for "his organization," primarily field service.

The WT works system never ends until death, which is why a woman in her 80s is expected to keep proving her dedication by going door to door.

Even then, in the WT's "new system," a JW will be expected to prove their dedication through 1000 years in order to be deemed worthy of everlasting life.

Read through the New Testament and see the contrast.

• AnneB
    AnneB

You can call WT HQ and tell them you're making vacation plans and need to know what KH serves <your mother's address>. They'll even give you meeting times and contact info.

Aside from that, if your mother is in the shape you say she is (not doubting you!), she isn't setting up the field service arrangements. She could stay at home and write one letter a month or make phone calls as she is able; even 15 minutes keeps an infirm publisher "active". It seems to me that someone is trying to climb the congregational ladder at your mother's expense, showing how much care they have for the congregation members.

Be careful: it may be that these "helpful" folk are siphoning off your mother's resources.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

My mother is in her late 70's and she feels guilty when she doesn't make it out in service. She even feels guilty not being able to help in the remodeliing of the hall.

She also had a knee replacement,and some days it's just too hot for anyone to be out. One of her friends is the same age,and goes out in the hot weather and gets dizzy. She has a history of heart problems.

I try not to be discouraging to my mother ,but sometimes I tell her that one needs to use common sense. If she isn't feeling well to begin with,she shouldn't be going out.

Now,going to the convention is a whole other matter too.

• blondie
    blondie

I had older female jw relatives who desperately did not want to be perceived as getting weak or helpless and insisted on d2d to prove that. Their immediate caretakers recognized their physical limitations and made arrangements to go on developed rvs and bible studies. Too it might be that there are not any of those remarkable jws that really go the extra mile for her.

While some elders might like their records to show everyone turning in time, it is more likely to be a healthy, reluctant jw that does not turn in time. Sometimes the only social contact older jws have is meeting with the group for field service. It is harder to be ignored by all as can happen at the KH.

It has been said that only Englishman or mad dogs go out in the noon day sun, I think it is more likely that jws and mad dogs go out in the noon day sun.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

83....In summer in Riverside??? It must be like 115 deg in the shade!

My poor 82 year old mom hears all that BS off the platform and frets if she isn't at EVERY meeting or out in Service every week. She doesn't want to DIE in a "disapproved state".!

I finally had to call the P.O. in my moms cong. I reminded him she needs the telephone tie-in, and that he and the hall could be held accountable for "bloodguilt", or law suits, if she and the other little old sisters drive over any school kids trying to "get thier time in".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I know a blind 84 year old who goes on the ministry. She is still pretty with it though.

• wasblind
    wasblind

In the cong I attended they had the Deaf AND the Blind parin' up goin' D2D

I kid you not !!!!!!

The Deaf sister would guide the blind sister up to the door

and the blind sister wound do the talkin' to the househoulder

took two people to make one whole publisher

The WTS didn't care as long as they got the job done

Heaven help 'em if they were to be chased by a dog !!!!

The blind sister would have to alert the deaf sister she hear a dog

and the deaf sister would have to guide the blind sister where to run !!!!!

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

wasblind, the scenario you described concerning the two handicapped women being chased by a dog was so funny. I don't mean to sound mean but the image made me laugh so hard, my side hurts. I cannot imagine who would allow these women or anyone so handicapped to put themselves in danger just to preach. I was always terrified of dogs when I used to go 2d2. JWs can be so heartless and dumb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit