....and a new wrinkle

by outsmartthesystem 41 Replies latest jw friends

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

So I was giving my daughter a hug at bed time last night. She stands up at the foot of her bed and wraps her arms around my neck. She then asks why I don't serve Jehovah anymore. No big deal I thought. Just an inquisitive mind. I told her that you don't have to go to the kingdom hall to serve Jehovah. She then pushed away from me.....got a horrible look on her face and said sternly, "I will serve Jehovah forever. And YOU can't stop me!"

I was horrified. My wife insists that neither her nor her parents are "coaching" her.....or trying to align her against me. But I am pulling the bullshit card on that one. This is the SECOND time my daughter has said that. I think SOMEONE is coaching her.....and prepping her that I MAY in the future try to reason with her. And in doing so.....they are prepping her mind to automatically fight me. 5 year olds don't say things like that without coaching. I haven't mentioned this outburst or the last one to my wife yet. What should I do?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

jeez

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Use a family member or friend she loves who is NOT a witness, an aunt or uncle or teacher, and ask if she thinks that person is BAD (Hopefully "No")

Then ask her if she thinks Jehovah will kill so-and-so because He thinks they are BAD? (Agan, Hopefully "No")

And we know that so-and-so does not go to the Kingdom Hall, do they? (No)

And we know they are NOT BAD, don't we?

See there, LOTS of GOOD people, do not go to the KH, and that does not mean they are BAD.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Try not to think to much of it. Kids can come up with this stuff "on their own". If they go to meetings they are coached at meeting. Not necessarily by family or friends but from the stage. My kids say the same kinda crap and I am possitive with my kids no one is coaching them. It's just cuz they are "trained" so well. From infancy. I personally think it will fade with time. Just keep being a good dad like I'm sure you are(tucking your daughter in at night is evidence of this) and it will be ok.

• Quandry
    Quandry

You can't argue with a five year old. Just tell her you love her very much, and tuck her in. Maybe pick up a stuffed animal and hug it and talk to it for a few seconds. Her attention will be diverted.

You are a good dad. Just keep exercising the same patience.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I also wanted to add....I have gone back and read some of your first posts-so sorry for your situation. However, you have a family that loves and needs you. That is more than many on this earth have. Please reflect on the good things that you have. I have been married for over forty years....both of my parents are gone, and many other relatives. I appreciate having a home and someone who loves me and that I love no matter what our differences may be.

You never know what the future holds. You at one time were a blind follower of the WT and longed for a family that was the same. Now, you want the opposite, so you must go slowly.....just keep showing the same love.

I know would be hard, but I would read the latest magazines all the time and keep comparing doctrinal changes over time. Maybe, just maybe, something you point out will catch your wife's attention. As I know you were cautioned before, never offer any comments on "apostate" material, just compare what the WTS says over the years, and question the differences.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"I also wanted to add....I have gone back and read some of your first posts-so sorry for your situation. However, you have a family that loves and needs you. That is more than many on this earth have. Please reflect on the good things that you have. I have been married for over forty years....both of my parents are gone, and many other relatives. I appreciate having a home and someone who loves me and that I love no matter what our differences may be.

You never know what the future holds. You at one time were a blind follower of the WT and longed for a family that was the same. Now, you want the opposite, so you must go slowly.....just keep showing the same love."

Thank you very much. I needed that.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Just wait until the teenage years she will love YOU to death versus her JW relatives.

She will have to choose between this:

Or this:

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

OKAY you have to FIGHT BACK FAIR!

Tell her " I love Jehovah too! Sweetie Pie, and I would never try to do that"

Give her a hug and reassure her,

DO NOT fight religion with a 5 year old, you'll never win

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Ask her some real questions that will make her think and might reveal what is influencing her. Don't say one way or the other if you think her answers are right or wrong, you are just trying to understand what she is thinking about.

What does the word "serve" mean?

Why do you think Jehovah wants or needs to you to serve him?

How do you know for sure if you are serving Jehovah and if you are doing it correctly?

Is it possible to serve Jehovah incorrectly?

Would he be angry if you were trying to serve him but were doing it incorrectly?

Do you know a place where it says in the Bible that to serve Jehovah you have to leave books and magazines at peoples houses. Did Jesus do that?

Etc...Etc....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit