I think people want to believe in an Armageddon

by dgp 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Cold Steel said:

No, I cited scripture to win the argument (Ezekiel 38-39, Isaiah 11, Psalm 85, Zech. 12-14, Rev. 12-16). That preterists can do naught but insist they have found fulfillment shows they are in many ways deslusional.

How cute, using the Bible to make psychological diagnoses, as if it were a DSM-IV, LOL!

And someone who can type this:

After awhile, you’ll see the wisdom of God in the prophetic guidance of the ancient apostles and prophets beginning to gel and within a year you’ll be wondering how you ever believed in the scriptural exegesis of the Watchtower Crowd!

Lacks the self-awareness to say this:

Yet Preterists confidently assert the reality of events that lack even a trace of substantiation. This must be classified as delusional thinking, and delusional thinking is one of the principal attributes of psychosis. (It would be saner to conclude that Jesus was plain wrong, but that’s an impossibility for them. Psychotics cannot let go of their delusion.)

Tenacious?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Having a son with Schizophrenia, I can say with confidence that he would dearly love to be rid of his persistent delusion. His delusion steadily and continuosly promises him mortal harm, and his damaged brain provides him "evidence" everywhere. Where we might see a couple in intimate conversation, he might overhear a murder plot. He lives in fear most of his days, with a few bright spots.

I dare not call a person with a persistent belief to be psychotic. Delusional perhaps. Mistaking block-headedness with faith, maybe.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Why do dubs want to believe in Armageddon? Because they are promised material wealth and a life beyond our wildest dreams afterward. Land, a luxury home, the best food, all that money can buy will be theirs. A necessary precursor to all that is to do away with the present inconvenient world and the people in it - well, that can be arranged. Don't worry about them, they must have been "wicked" anyway.

Just daydream about wealth, health and happiness and ignore the present........

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

“ Some of the prophecies remain unfulfilled. Also, it did not happen within the generation of the first disciples. Perhaps Jesus was wrong. ”

Well, either Jesus was wrong or we misunderstand the context. Christian apologists maintain that Jesus was speaking of the generation in which the sun was darkened and the moon was turned to blood. Additionally, there were many unauthorized changes that crept into the subsequent manuscripts. The apostles clearly did not believe that Jesus’ return would be in their lifetimes. They knew, for example, that Jerusalem would be destroyed and the Jews scattered among the gentile nations. They knew that after many years, the Jews would be recovered and brought back to their ancestral homeland. They knew of other prophecies that had to be fulfilled, including the battle of Armageddon, or Gog and Magog. The book of Revelation was not to be fulfilled “shortly,” but John’s intention was that the events in his revelation would begin to be fulfilled shortly. And those events did begin to be fulfilled, but not in totality. He wrote of two prophets, or witnesses, who would be called to defend Jerusalem using the power of God. After being slain, their dead bodies would be left in the street for three and a half days. Then life would enter back in them and they would be resurrected and caught up to meet the returning Jehovah, or Christ.

After Jesus was resurrected, he spent 40 days with his disciples. What did he teach them that he had not taught them in mortality. Other manuscripts say that he taught them the “mysteries” of the Kingdom of God. What those were were not recorded, but believers could conclude that he taught them, among other things, the prophecies that would be fulfilled. Knowing the prophecies that still remain, I can say that the Second Coming of Jesus is still aways off. And though the Jews are still returning and Israel has been reestablished, the great earthquake has not yet happened nor has the sun been darkened and the moon turned to blood. The Jews have not rebuilt their temple and the “beast” has not revealed himself.

Thus, I’m convinced that Jesus was not “wrong,” nor did the apostles believe that the return of Christ was imminent. People who make the charge that the apostles thought Jesus’ return would be in their lifetimes do not take prophecy into account. I’ve heard some fairly well educated people say that the apostles did harbor that belief; however, they tend to be ignorant of Christian eschatology. Many preterists say that Jesus did fulfill his “return,” but they’ve never told me how that fulfillment came about.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Cold Steel, you have moved away from a plain reading of the text. Wishful thinking, perhaps?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit