Best news in a long time - manned mission to Mars planned

by tootired2care 74 Replies latest social current

• moshe
    moshe

The best corporate profits come from ' planning' - you never have to produce any working tangible product. For example, they have a utility in Florida that has spent a billion dollars in 'planning' a new nuclear plant and has not been able to line up the first dollar of financing to build the plant. The uitilty board was told several years ago by consumer advocates to cut off the planning when they had spent 250 million dollars, with no end in sight-- of course all these feasibilty/design 'planning' dollars are expenses they can legally have the customers pay for.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Best news in a long time - manned mission to Mars planned

Cart before horse. Build a good infrastructure in orbit, and between here and the moon, with frequent launches, and future manned Mars missions will become far less expensive. We already have the gas gun launch technology to build a fuel depot with a launch price of 5% current rates.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is great news indeed, as I assume it means we have already solved world poverty and inequality that we can now afford to go to Mars.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    This is great news indeed, as I assume it means we have already solved world poverty and inequality that we can now afford to go to Mars.

With that as an excuse, we'd still be huddling in caves in Africa and fending off wild animals with stone tools.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Build a good infrastructure in orbit, and between here and the moon, with frequent launches, and future manned Mars missions will become far less expensive.

Good point, no doubt they will have to do this when they actually have plans to colonize for re-supplyment trips.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

As Cofty mentioned, why does this have to be an either or?

Why does solving poverty and inequality have to be a pre-requisite to getting off this planet? Perhaps getting off this planet is the best way to solve those issues, by h elping people realize that the religious texts, and theocratic regimes that cause their members to live in futility and fear, are crap; and spur them to overthrow these systems of government, and unshackle the true potential that we all have to achieve great things.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's an initiative to eliminate inequality - one laptop per child - which would have never been conceived if not for the miniaturization innovations developed for the space industry.

• sabastious
    sabastious

They should bring Val Kilmer.

-Sab

• james_woods
    james_woods

This is an illusion at best. In reality, Obama cares nothing about NASA or the space mission. Remember his silly direction of the NASA mission "to reach out to mid-eastern governments?"

Do not forget that we have made absolutely no effort to create a viable manned orbital capability post-shuttle.

If Romney is elected, there will still remain critical budget problems for the next four years - something of this magnitude will be impossible to attempt without the cold-war implications which Kennedy had to drive the politics of the Apollo program.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is the robotic missions, such as the one planned to land this weekend.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    A huge waste of money. tens of millions of children are malnourished and living in abject poverty but the US et al wastes 100's of millions of dollars on fantastical boondoggles that don't help a soul. Shameful.

I am pretty much in agreement. I have read much science fiction. Some of it involves needing to find a new home beyond earth. We are not there yet. Our planet is well worth saving and still able to be saved. I think we need to care for every human being on earth before we go out there.

If governments or business cannot wait until that time (which may never happen), they still have unmanned options that are a waste of money, but less money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit