Jehovah kicks a puppy

by Simon 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

DJS: So you are telling me that all of the references to Satan, the Lion, the Serpent, etc. used by Jesus, Paul, Peter, John and others are all myths and stories?

No, you misunderstood my point. A story which teaches a moral lesson can use historical characters within it even though the actual events in the story are fiction. It is a moral lesson, a teaching lesson. So even though Washington never cut down that cherry tree he himself was a real person, the story on the other hand is not historical.

Satan is real, in the Bible he is real. Did he actually conjure up a talking serpent? No, of course not. Was there actually a flaming sword keeping Adam from re-entering the garden? No, but the picture that flaming sword presents conveys the message very well. And it's the message that counts.

The message in the garden was that to listen to God meant eternal life and not to listen meant being put out of God's garden and eventually losing their life. A simple lesson.

But hey I respect your firm disbelief in the Bible or religion. I have no problem with that. But I do have a small problem with when during an adult discussion someone comes up with an ad hominem attack. I suggest next time you do not base your conclusions solely on a screen name (or when posters happen to join) but instead on their previous posts.

I went down the road of frequent exJW jumps to wrong conclusions with my spouse and would like to leave that terrible experience behind. If you want to know something about me just ask and if it's not too personal I'll answer. I have, though, no obligation to provide answers to someone who does not ask me directly. We all have principles.

• DJS
    DJS

Hold Me,

As I mentioned to Caleb, it wasn't an attack. I thought it was cute that, based on the fact that he joined immediately after you, had essentially an identical number of posts as you, and had essentially an identical viewpoint on an OP you both responded to in just the 5th day on the site is all more than a bit of a coincidence. I apologized to him if he took it the wrong way; I am apologizing to you if you took it the wrong way. That both of you are over-reacting in this small matter probably makes some lurkers think that I was hitting a bit close to home. Even if I am, it is of no consequence to me or anyone else and certainly not to any OP. Continuing to angst about it suggests it is of consequence to you. There. Are you now happy? I have explained myself twice and apologized twice. Is that enough?

An ad hominem attack wasn't necessary. Your circular reasoning, which I've heard before, requires one to swallow a whole lot of stuff. That Satan as a Serpent is a story or metaphor ultimately removes the very reason the Christ was necessary and utterly negates a whole lot of very important bible stuff from beginning to end and a lot in the middle. Either the entire biblical premise is fantasy or none of it is fantasy. You are free to choose; I've been on both sides of the issue and the only one that makes sense is where I currently reside.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit