The Art of Writing

by Quendi 35 Replies latest social entertainment

• Quendi
    Quendi

Gore Vidal's death Tuesday in Los Angeles got me to thinking about writers. I am a writer myself and I know there are many other writers on this forum. I wanted to open a discussion on writing in the twenty-first century and get other thoughts, opinions and experiences on this. However, this discussion might not be what you'd expect. You see, I am interested in knowing what medium do you use to do your writing.

The computer and word processor have revolutionized the art. I am grateful for my computer and the Microsoft Word software I use to write many things. But I also have a passion for good old fashioned handwriting, and my favorite instrument for this is the fountain pen. I own nine and have my eye on at least four more I would like to acquire. In addition, I own high end rollerball and ballpoint pens. I also have very nice handwriting which has been admired and praised for a long time.

I made a very surprising discovery about how these instruments affect my own writing. The fountain pen requires a slower pace and a much more deliberate style of writing because once the words have been put on paper, there can be no changing or rearranging or any other kind of revision and editing done. So I have to think a great deal more when I pick up a pen to compose a letter or message to someone. The computer, on the other hand, allows me to write much more quickly, freely and compulsively since I know I can always go back and correct or revise anything I've written. That has been a strange realization for me.

So I have found that I need to use both the computer and the pen. They are indespensible to me and both play a vital role in all the writing that I do. I still like to write personal notes, cards and even some letters with my fountain pen (which also allows me to use all kinds of "designer inks"). My correspondents tell me they are very happy to get a handwritten communication from me in place of an e-mail or word-processed letter. On the other hand, I think that I would be hard pressed to write my novel Magic Squared if I had to do so by hand. The computer has been a sine qua non in the novel's creation. What has been your experience and adventure in twenty-first century writing? I am eager to read your replies.

Quendi

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Quendi, great thread! I love this subject.

I'm formulating a (hopefully) thoughtful response which I will post later ... just wanted to let you know I saw your thread and am excited to discuss something creative and productive (and non-JW) for a change!

00DAD

• Terry
    Terry

I think quickly. I write quickly. The problem is in forcing myself to go back and re-read what I've written.

Writing.....good writing...needs editing and re-thinking.

Writing that teaches or requires debate and reasoning must be concise, clear and well organized.

Who has the time to do that on a Discussion Board? Only those who practice self-discipline.

I type quickly.

I can write with either a pencil or pen but I think way too fast to make that practical.

Lately, rewriting has been far more interesting to me.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: The computer and word processor have revolutionized the art.

I don't believe that. What they have done is revolutionized the production time of the art, but not the art itself.

No machine can make art better if the art is crap to begin with. There is some charm to writing by hand or using an old fashioned manual typewriter, but those are only tools. The art of writing requires a lot a work, practice and well, talent. If all of that is in place, the manner of delivery is moot.

Britney Spears may have a zillion dollars worth of background singers and musicians and sequencing and mixing technicians, but she still sounds like shit and couldn't sing her way out of a paper bag. Ask her to sing acapella and her fraud will be readily exposed.

I recently finished reading a book called "The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature" by Elizabeth Kantor. It was an amazing read. She pointed out examples of the truly GREAT English language literature and that stuff is so above the fray of what is written today, it is almost depressing to see how far we've deteriorated in writing quality since those great works were produced.

"I've known people who've worked lovingly for over 20 years on the art of writing, laboring over every phrase and every word. They were simply horrible." - Isabel Paterson, contemporary and one-time friend of Ayn Rand.

Farkel

• SadElder
    SadElder

With the advent of BTW, BFF, LOL etc. the writing skills of our populace has greatly diminished. How many even know about books like: Zinssers- On Writing Well or Stunk and White's - The Elements of Style?

I'm saying nothing about conversation sklls. Have you talked to a store clerk lately?

Guess I'm an old coot now.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

The UK comedienne Dawn French who is now writing successful novels claims to write them in long hand with a pencil. Once I learned to touch type it beat handwriting for me, hands down (pun intended).

Loz x

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am naturally more of a mathematician than a writer. My work, and now my site, has forced me to concentrate of improving my writing ability. My handwriting is as illegible as a doctor's, and when I write words and ideas pour out all over the page. I need to go back and rearrange them and try and make sense of them, before anyone else would ever be able to decipher their meaning. For that reason, computers are irreplaceable.

Microsoft Word has taught me grammar, since it constantly complains about the way I think sentences should be structured. I do wonder though just how much Word should be trusted.

Another issue I face is writing in Australian, which is a more pure form of English than American. Yet it clashes with the American English of Watchtower quotes that I intermingle within every article. I end up with a confusing form of grammar and spelling that must make the reader think I have a split personality. (I often get JW's emailing me that my spelling is as bad as my beliefs.)

• harleybear
    harleybear

Quendi: Great thread. I got your email re: Magic Squared. I agree that the pen and the machine are both great tools. I have gotten so lazy with my laptop because I can't spell worth a crap and the computer lets me be sloppy... . also you have a huge advantage over me in that at least you can read your handwritting where as I can't even read mine after I write something. Could be a doctor with my penmenship.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I love to write. I took a creative writing class a few semesters ago and learned a lot. I like to write longhand but ususlly use the computer. I keep my iPad beside me and look up any words whose meaning I am unsure of or have

heard for the first time. I confess that I have had to look up a few words on these posts just to be sure I know the exact meaning. I like reading the what you guys/gals write here on the forum. I believe those books mentioned

by SadElder are required in the English classes at the university I attend. I will be reading what you write. BTW, I get very upset if my favorite pen is missing.

• undercover
    undercover

The Art of Writing...

It is an art...a talent. One that I wish I had. I've written enough over time to know that I am not a writer. I think it would be cool to be a good one. I admire those that can do it. Aw hell, actually I'm a little jealous.

I have noticed that word processors, computers, etc. have made my writing a little better, because it points out issues and mistakes, things I wouldn't have caught writing in long hand. But that's just the technical end. The computer cannot give you ideas or tell you how to convey them in the method you're attempting, whether to be entertaining or informative. That's a knack that is inherent and then honed to a fine skill.

But once in awhile I'll read a paper back novel, fiction, and say to myself, "I can write as good as this. How come this guy's a millionaire writing such dribble?" I guess it's like Britney Spears being a successfull 'singer' when she can't sing...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit