2012 ICSA Conference The Ethics of Evangelism

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I don't agree that all religions are cult-like. So you have to be respectful and caring towards other people. Is that really a hardship? OK I know for somepeople that would be next to impossible. In the examples I gave above with my friends and the group experience they didn't care if I converted. They treated me kindly even allowing for what my past was. They weren't doing it so that maybe I would see how wonderful their church was and manybe I would join. They treated me well because they were good people that put people first before whatever beliefs they had.

And really isn't that the message of most sacred scripture? Be kind and loving. Care for others. Be at peace with yourself and others. I don't care what a persion's religious beliefs are if they are kind, moral, ethical in their treatment of others -- that will attract me to them a lot faster than the kind of people I grew up with.

Getting into heaven or some after life - well I will deal with that when it happens.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

BTW The info presented came from Appendix 1 of the book:

The Ethics of Evangelism: A Philosophical Defence of Ethical Proselytizing and Persuasion. Elmer J. Theissen (2011), Paternoster and IVP Academic. pp. 234-237

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Thanks Lady Lee.

I think all the criteria for unethical evangelism has been met with the WT&TS.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have to agree with you and the others rip.

It seems that no matter what scale you use to determine whether any group is a cult or not the JWs score on every point. Full marks -- they fail

How many years would we have saved out of our lives if we had this information earlier?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thanks for sharing Lady Lee. It is very relevant to my interests and journey.

As a side point it is worth noting that Watchtower followers' claim to be evangelisers is false. They do not teach the unabridged gospel (good news). They teach religion instead - they are proselytisers - something they even at times proudly and ignorantly state.

No true evangeliser is ignorant of the gospel or "good news" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms - as Watchtower religionists all are.

More than half the New World Translation's roughly 152 references to the "good news" are by Paul!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Humility Criterion:
    Arrogance, dogmatism and condescension are not the marks of humility. Saying you are humble is notbeing humble.

I thought this one was particularly good. Thanks for the info.

• dgp
    dgp

I spent some time trying to remember whether I had met someone who would meet all these criteria. I'm not sure I have found anyone, though I can think of a few people who could probably be of this kind. So one point to consider would be whether the "church" abides by these principles, as a body, as opposed to whether the person preaching to you does the same.

Some time ago I met a person I now consider a manipulator. The organization this person works for attracts youth with sports and trades, and then "provides training for life" on issues that have nothing at all to do with sports and trades. The organization is supposed to be religious, but religion does not go beyond a token prayer sometimes; religion serves the purpose of giving credibility. The "principles" they are being taught are not religious at all. Perhaps they are even correct, but they are not religious.

This group would not be thought to be evangelizing anyone, but it is my impression that they would not meet several of the criteria above. Perhaps this is not just for religions, but for groups that "preach" an idea to others.

I could mention the example of Salesian priests and their shops. They attract (or used to) attract a high number of youth and children, who can learn trades with them. In my experience at that particular place - which may be different from anybody else's anywhere- cases of abuse were rare, though abuse did happen. On occasion, anyone studying there had to listen to a chat on something religious, but it was infrequent and no one was pushed to join anything. There were specific groups you could join if you were religious, but you could perfectly well study at several of their shops without joining any of the religious groups.

Maybe it was a matter of the people directly involved with that center at that time. But, overall, my impression is that they would meet these criteria. The other group wouldn't. I wonder if there should be a criterion about enticing -not coercing- people to participate.

• FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

As many of the others have already stated, the WT fails on all points. It's as if Mr. Theissen made a list: "Why Jehovah's Witnesses Are Unethical Evangelizers".

My favorite statement: "True freedom means that at any time you have the freedom to walk away with dignity."

FM

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

dpg perhaps a better word be recruitment for non-religious groups. But regardless of the type of group it is I think this list can be used to assess how manipulative the group and its members are. In any group you will have the gung-ho types that walk all over their potential recruits and bully them into a group using a few of the things on the list.I don't know if they would stay too long in a group that would ask them to tone it down.

But if the leadership is like this then it follows that most of the members would be like this too. Everyone plays follow the leader whether they like it or not.

FM

My favorite statement: "True freedom means that at any time you have the freedom to walk away with dignity."

That is a statement that I have read here many times. It wasn't from the presentation - just my notes - but well worth reminding ourselves of it again

• dgp
    dgp

I don't know if they would stay too long in a group that would ask them to tone it down.

This is so true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit