2012 ICSA Conference The Ethics of Evangelism

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

Lady Lee, this is an excellent list. Thank you for posting it. I have experienced much of what is on that list thanks to my parents.

I think one of the saddest things about the JWs is that they take a unique individual and alter them into an unhappy and sick person. Peoples' joy and creativity is snuffed out. My Mom and my beautiful cousin became a former shadow of themselves, with chronic depression/illness because they were in this organization.

Any organization that tells you that you are not doing enough, that you are not good enough, that you MUST do as we say, that you MUST NOT associate with anyone outside the organization including family is a cult.

As a teenager I never thought I had the right to try to force religion down anyone's throat. Jesus said "Come to me" (Matthew 11: 28-29) ... he never said "Push me on people."

The 'ethics' JWs use have been defined by the Watchtower. They are NOT aligned with True North Principles - principles that promote positive results for people, principles that really work, are supportive, solid, and unchanging.

(P.S. RIP Steven Covey -- who passed away July 16, 2012 as a result of injuries incurred from a cycling accident back in April.)

• designs
    designs

If you are attracted to christianity because someone or some group put the message in a pretty can you say you are really a freed human. Someone or some group is still selling you on the idea that You Sin and that a certain someone can fix you.

'The JWs got it all wrong but we've got it right'

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was always taught that if you are not a Christian/JW, God will not favour you. I personally find even the Bible's message to be somewhat unethical. If you don't convert (ie become 'reborn' in Christ), you will be judged and risk eternal punishment. So I feel the Bible can also be critiqued with the list Lady Lee posted (as well as other faith's holy books).

• LV101
    LV101

This list is hard to believe after what we've all experienced. Gives me hope. Thanks for sharing.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

This list is hard to believe after what we've all experienced. Gives me hope.

Given that I practiced those things on other people I feel ashamed. I always kew deep inside there was somethign wrong - off. But i had a hard time figuring out what it was. Now I know -- EVERYTHING

• LV101
    LV101

Yes, you know and are correcting your wrongs helping as many as possible. It's so frustrating when we can't help those inside who are brainwashed and clueless.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

LV101

I think each person has to have their Crisis of Conscience and then to find the courage to do a bit of research that validates that Crisis and then the courage to act on it.

Personally I think the first step is top get them to feel - not to think. Thinking is what they have been taught to do so if you try that it will kick in their programming. But Witnesses are taught that feelings are bad. They have them but they keep them reigned in. But if we can find a way to trigger them and get them to really feel something - anything then we have made a connection. The more connections you make the better chance you have of talking about things that make you feel sad or bad - the things that hurt you about the organization. You have to go very carefully and always assessing how they are feeling. It isn't a failure to say maybe we need to stop this for now and go off and do something else. Always work with the idea you are looking for baby steps not giant leaps. And always remember that it may look like 2 steps forward and three steps back but you are laying a foundation to be built on one brick at a time until they decide to finish the building themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit