What part of the opening ceremony did you like best on Friday night?

by dreamgolfer 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• dreamgolfer
  • Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

While I think the corporate issues are a disgrace, I did think Danny Boyle did a brilliant job, the Queen skydiving and Mr Bean were def highlights lol. Seeing a potted British history so cleverly presented with music was inspiring to say the least.

Loz x

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My youngest shouted "Mr Bean!" when he saw Rowan Atkinson. I mentioned Blackadder and got silence.

• glenster
    glenster

The tribute to Lewis Caroll for founding the Great Ormond Street Hospital:
    huge creepy baby. Case closed.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

**yawn**

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The copper petals. Muhammad Ali. The changing times in England. The production values were stuning. Daniel Craig. The Queen.

I did find her outfit bizarre. She dressed as though it were a cocktail party when others worse sports blazers.

McCartney but I always love McCartney. It was not his best performance but it reminded me of the British invasion, the pure infectousness of the fun, and for how many decades he has brought you to my life.

I recall when the thought that he would be a Sir, and open up the Olympics or Superbowl was a joke. Hey Jude seemed to cut through all nationalities and age groups.

There was not a part I did not like. The NHS baby seemed a bit too large is scale and bordered on creepy.

• nugget
    nugget

It was the creator of Peter Pan, Barrie who donated money to great Ormond Street Hospital.

I thought there were many high points, the transformation into the industrial revolution and the forging of the rings, the doves of peace, the cauldron, the fireworks.

I also liked the inventor of the WWW and creator of the first web site. Very funny especially after Mr Romney saying that the Brits don't make things people want.

I loved the chaos and quirkiness of it but then as a Brit it was all about me and my culture.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

For most of it I was absolutely bored out of my mind.

Highlight was the Queen and James Bond- until she got in the helicopter.

Rowan Atkinson's bit. He just makes me laugh!!!

And the lighting of the copper petals was magnificent.

Was very disappointed with Sir Paul's performance. Very non-climatic. (Sorry- Band on the Run and LWT

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I had to leave it for a work-related event. I saw it all the way up to the nod to the generation of kids with gadgets. It was too "British" for the rest of the world. Even if it was fantastic after that point, it couldn't make up for the strange presentation of the first couple of hours. It tried to do too much that wasn't easy to understand without commentary or wasn't highly entertaining.

It's a shame- they could have nodded to just British music or literature or culture without trying to nod to all of those.

I thought starting with something Shakespearian, then maybe Canterbury Tales and moving into Charles Dickens stuff, then Jane Austen-type literature, moving up into Sherlock Holmes and moving into The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and if the Brits could stomach it, ending with something along the lines of James Bond transitioning into Doctor Who as a nod to the modern communications era, now that would be a show.

• talesin
    talesin

Big display of corporate advertising...

I'm with LKL on this subject ............ < yawn >

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit