No atheist in A fox hole.

by jam 55 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jam
    jam

First of all Iam A agnostic. I,am curious, you who are atheist

what or how do you deal with A life or death situation. It,s

easy to say what you might do if you never experienced it.

Last nite A program on women on death row and I thought

if I were in that situation, and not guilty of the crime.

This was the case for one of the women, she was release after

6 yrs. Whe do you turn to for comfort.

While serving in Nam I prayed every day (I was A Christian then)

please God don,t let A mortar round land on my tent tonite,

please God don,t let A sniper zap me in the head while on

gaurd duty.

What if some love one was suffering from some incurable

disease, who do you turn to?

This is the reason why I wll never become A atheist, I pray

to whoever is in charge. My prayer would be whoever is

in charge, ( whither it,s aliens , Buddha, ) please give comfort.

Make sense?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

That "there are no atheists in foxholes" line is utter BS, and downright insulting to those atheists who made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of their country. They do so with greater sense of sacrifice than the Xian who does the same, as the atheist knows there is no heavenly reward from God if they die in combat; yet they still willingly give of the only life they know they'll ever have, in the name of their fellow citizen.

It's just another form of the Xian thinking that makes the say, "atheism is a religion", trying to paint us with the same dirty brush that taints their lives.

Anyway....

You have a need for false comfort, even if you realize it's false.

Some of us don't, instead preferring an accurate, sober, and honest assessment of the situation we find ourselves in (however desperate it may be) vs sweet lil' lies that offer only empty comfort.

Some can't handle real life sober, so choose to seek their comfort in a bottle. Others can't handle a life spent impaired, seeing it as wasted. Neither are correct, wrong, or evil (sinning); to each their own (as long as it's not a legal issue). It's called personal responsibility, and having to live in the bed we made, reap what we sow, etc.

In fact, the realization the the JW version of "The Truth" wasn't actually "The Truth" made me hungrier than ever to search for "truths" (which is a fool's pursuit: everything in life is relative, as there are no absolutes such as truths). For me, that meant education and learning; hence I earned my doctorate. The scientific method appealed to my mind and quest, and I find that being able to weigh the relative veracity (truthfulness) of claims to be emotionally-satisfying, filling that "hole in my heart that is shaped like God" with something that is much better than any false God Delusion ever did or could be....

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Make sense?

No, because no one is "in charge". In charge of what? When does it change? Were all the soldiers that died while praying not worthy? What about all the bad people that lived?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Jam, don't let people convince you that this is false comfort. They believe God does not exist. You sound more like a diest than an agnostic. You are not hurting them by your belief and prayer, don't allow them to hurt you by trying to convince you that your belief and prayer is false.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@jam - just curious, why do you always capitalize the indefinite article?

• simon17
    simon17

It makes perfect sense for people to need comfort in extreme situations. That, of course, is immaterial to the question of whether god exists. But when there is no one else to turn to, it makes sense to make up something to turn to for strength for some people.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Flying High Now said:

Jam, don't let people convince you that this is false comfort. They believe God does not exist. You sound more like a diest than an agnostic. You are not hurting them by your belief and prayer, don't allow them to hurt you by trying to convince you that your belief and prayer is false.

Maybe you didn't notice that he asked a question TO atheists?

I,am curious, you who are atheistwhat or how do you deal with A life or death situation.

So, are you admitting to BE an atheist by answering?

And your concerns over losing one's faith: are you worried about him, or concerns for yourself?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Jam, don't let people convince you that this is false comfort.

Then perhaps he shouldn't claim to know what others in dire situations are thinking.

• jam
    jam

EP; maybe I didn,t word my question clearly. didn,t

claim to know what others thought(atheist) in A

dire situation, that,s why I ask.

mean-Mr mustard; not sure what you are asking.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've been near death a number of times and I didn't consider praying. Didn't even cross my mind.

In my mind god is the same as Santa Claus.

There are atheists who've been in a literal foxhole who will tell you the same thing. The saying is bunk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit