by jam 55 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• caliber
    caliber

"The subconscious mind believes in life after death" - Carl Jung MD

read below for NDE by Atheists

http://www.neardeathsite.com/index.php

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Which demonstrates how little the word "atheist" actually tells us about a persons beliefs.

Indeed. I find it fascinating. I have an atheist friend who is superstitious! I don't doubt she is an atheist.

God? No proof

Angels? Nope

Demons? nope, Heaven, nope, Hell, nope! Knock on wood? YEP!

I do my duty and tease her relentlessly about it, but I can only think it is emotional. I'm convinced she knows on some level that this is ridiculous, and suspect it is merely an outworking of OCD. But there you have it.

We are not rational beings---we all have our things.

NC

• Glander
    Glander

superstition in one manifestation or another covers this entire subject.

crucifix = rabbits foot

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

And those who hold these beliefs will make fun of those who hold similar beliefs, eg I was talking to a xian yesterday who snickered about the funny beliefs of Scientologists, with their silly eMeters which can heal disease, etc. Nevermind that he believes that Jesus granted him with the power to heal via touch....

Delusion is a power force, a desire for things to be as you'd like them to be, not as they are. Since your brain cannot change reality, it does the next-best thing: it makes your perception fit your desire.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Since your brain cannot change reality, it does the next-best thing: it makes your perception fit your desire.

Or you will perceive something very differently than your neighbor and neither one of you will incorrect. "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times." Tale of Two Cities

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    If you are going to research near death experiences you need to include the work done by Susan Blackmore. She committed half her career to prove NDE scientifically but was forced by the evidence to conclude otherwise.

Melvin devotes some chapters in his book Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near Death Experiences of Children to just such research and theory. Cofty, have you read Closer to the Light? It's a good set of research, beginning with Dr. Morse's own former disbelief in the phenomena. After reading it and talking to one of our forum members about what happened to some children who were drowning, he was amazed because he had the same experience when he went to the bottom of the river as a child. It may not change your mind about a thing, but it's going to give you a more complete picture of what varied scientists know about these experiences. And I was irritated to learn that the WTB&TS has lied to us about what science teaches about them. The WT writers present their story as if all scientists and doctors write them off to chemical reaction, oxygen deprivation and memory. I was most pleasantly surprised to find that they are liars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit