think i'm becoming an atheist

by rather be in hades 43 Replies latest jw friends

• BreathoftheIndianNose
  • King Solomon
    King Solomon

Breathoftheindiannose doesn't say much, and is a man of few words, but it's what he DOESN'T say that is the most profound. :)

BOTIN, try another browser (Firefox, Safari, etc) to post. Some aren't compatible.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Marking to read later...

interesting that many go from a believer as a JW to I don't know if there is only one way to worship God.

Then to, I have my own way to believe in God. - Does God really exist or Does he even care? -

Angry/Confused about God because you start to notice lots of inconsistencies. (ie...prayer & NC's post about Good things are because of him, bad things are time and unforeseen occurence. He gets all glory and no blame?)

Then finally...God simply doesn't exist?

Is that pretty much how it goes? I'm in the noticing lots of inconsistencies stage and things about an ALL LOVING, JUST and WISE God that just don't make sense to me. Like what NC said.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Good thread . . .

Phizzy's analogy caught my eye . . .

A negative can be proved, I go back to my old Piggy Bank example.
    I do not believe there is any money in it. A negative. I smash it open, being unconviced of the negative by merely shaking it, and I find no money, I see no money , cannot feel any money, and above all, cannot spend that money that "evidently" does not exist.

To extend the analogy . . . I personally hesitate to say "there is no money". It's more like "there is no money in this particular piggy bank."

My Atheism is simply a rejection of all current claims as to the existence and nature of God, and the various theistic beliefs that comprise the worlds religions. I reject them utterly, and have nothing with which to replace them. If that warrants a label, then Atheist is fine with me, as long as it divorces me from religion. If one of these God's did happen to show up, then I would shift neatly from rejecting the concept, to rejecting the entity anyway. None are worthy of worship.

I can't speak for Atheists in general . . . but I've never heard one say definitively "there is no God" . . . only that the evidence for traditional religious viewpoints is lacking, and that the concept is extensively logically flawed, and therefore rejected. You can't establish facts completely, based on a lack of evidence . . . but you can reject specious claims on the same basis. Such is the natural consequence of critical thinking . . . it disproves much more than it can ever unequivocally establish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit