How many doubting Thomases?

by konceptual99 16 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

As an active witness ATM I speak reguarly with friends and family who are also active. It seems however that there are some things that people are comfortable discussing such as beards (whats the problem) and birthdays (everyone would if they could) and, if you are with close friends, things like confusion over the generations, pressure of keeping all the balls juggled, harshness of rules around DA/DF ones along with long lapsed family and to some extent blood.

My guess is that there are many more who may be in a similar state of mind to me and wondering if it really is all worth it. It makes me wonder about how many with express themselves more if they could? Is there actually a substantial proportion of the active base, esp in the west, that could falter if not caught in this grip of fear of rejection by friends and family?

I guess there's no way of knowing for sure but doesn't stop me wondering.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Yes, I think so.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The consensus when this has been discussed before is that the percentage could be anything from 10-25?. I found that you could get so far with a conversation and then you would see them flip to cult mode as Steve Hassan describes. At that point it seems as though you may as well speak to the wall but what you say does still register.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

There are many folks who have doubts about the WTBS, it's the guilt of questioning the the FDS and loosing family that keep many folks in...there are also those who struggling financially/emotionally so as not to seem "spiritually weak" to others...

Kool Jo

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

It's lovely isn't it? Its the JWs version of a religious Mexican stand-off, where no one wants to drop their shun gun first, so no one does.... They just keep pointing their shun guns at each other, hoping a spiritual fire-fight doesn't break out. Meanwhile, their lives just pass them by.... (tick, tock, tick.....)

• cantleave
    cantleave

The doubts are there with almost everyone, control by guilt and fear stops them surfacing!

• designs
    designs

Everyone should read the letters between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson on the Bible.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The more they have to think about those doubts, the closer they get to capitulating. So, while you are in good standing, ask questions that encourage them do the research and the thinking. You can do more damage by being the last one out, than by being the first out.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Bingo @ Black Sheep.

IMHO the leadership's greatest threat is not the Internet, it's those who are still on the inside but have awoken.

• baltar447
    baltar447

It's doubting Thomases like you and your pals that have been directly targeted by the Watchtower at this year's District Convention.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/227007/1/Thought-Reform-and-the-Psychology-of-the-Safeguard-Your-Heart-2012-Convention

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit