Ironic new Awake cover...

by cedars 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

If that girl is anything like me at that age, she's spent her entire youth preparing for Armegedon and is thinking ..

"This is kind of interesting but I don't need to learn this stuff or do my homework since the world is going to end any day now and all the people around me including the teacher, are going to die.

After a childhood spent sitting through endless assembly talks, she has probably learned how to utilize her District Assembly survival skills by "tuning out" the minute someone starts imparting anything that resembles more mind numbing information .

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

If only I had followed the advice of the '71 Watchtower and become a stenographer. LOL

• designs
    designs

What language did the talking snake speak in, Thesis material.

• irondork
    irondork

Ceadars: It's difficult to comprehend how brainless these writers are. You can get away with this sort of thing in magazines designed only for the rank and file - but the Awake! is written for the PUBLIC! Surely people on the outside will realise how silly this stuff is?

I agree this is pretty elementary stuff. But I'm not so sure the public, at least in the USA will pick up on it as out-of-the-ordinary simple. Have you thumbed through some of these magazines off the rack lately? Even industry magazine (the ones I'm familiar with for example: Golfdom, Greens Keepers and Carolina Superintendants targeted toward the golf course industry) are really, really dumbed down, piss-poor excuses to sell ad space.

Even when a writer spends times writing a sizable article it usually ends up being an indepth study of the obvious. People are getting used to this level of nonquality. That Awake! will likely not raise a single eyebrow, outside those of us focused on giving it such critical review.

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

So basically they want JWs to go for blue collar jobs so that they have more time to provide their free labor to the WT. This is one thing that I never agreed with in my 7 years of being a JW, and thankfully my parents think the same way I do.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Mmm. Had a look at it on line and I could not decide who, on the cover , was supposed to be the dub? - if any of them.

The above comments stand true. This is disinformation for the public, while telling their members to quit school early. They want the Witness youth to either a) Pioneer or b) learn a practical trade that they can use on Q.Builds or at Bethel. The few professionals that they need can be got from converts or sending Bethelites on courses. Of course they say to work diligently at school, but if it were a choice between Aux. Pioneering or getting your School Assignment in on time , what would they want them to do?

Elswhere in the mag. I found this titbit of nonsense. albeit a quote that they give publicity and backing to :

"People who on average spend six hours each day watching TV can expect to live 4.8 years less than those who watch no TV. Put another way, every hour of TV reduces a sedentary adult’s life expectancy by about 22 minutes.—BRITISH JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE, BRITAIN."

I am sure that the study came up with statement in the first sentence but even a lay skeptic like me can see that sentence two is a false conclusion. Consider :

Contrasting those watching T V an average of 6 hours daily and those watching none are two extremes. Who watches it all day every day?

All manner of other lifestyle choices must be involved here, diet, activity ??? I know it is just a small comment , but do they not boast about checking these things for plausibility?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

What language did the talking snake speak in, Thesis material.

Bible doesn't say, but I'm guessing it spoke in tongues with a forked-tongue (sorry....)

I agree this is pretty elementary stuff. But I'm not so sure the public, at least in the USA will pick up on it as out-of-the-ordinary simple. Have you thumbed through some of these magazines off the rack lately? Even industry magazine (the ones I'm familiar with for example: Golfdom, Greens Keepers and Carolina Superintendants targeted toward the golf course industry) are really, really dumbed down, piss-poor excuses to sell ad space.

The articles also screen out the smarty-pants, the eggheads, who look at the article and think, "how could anyone actually BELIEVE this nonsense?" On the other hand, the reader who goes, "hmmmm, that makes ALOT of SENSE..." is a potential publication distributor, uh, I mean, JW.

All manner of other lifestyle choices must be involved here, diet, activity ??? I know it is just a small comment , but do they not boast about checking these things for plausibility?

JWs must operate a mine operation in W. VA, simply to obtain their endless need for quotes.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Well at least they're getting a little savvy with marketing. They chose the cafe au lait girl to be the focus (a marketing tactic to appeal to several different ethnic groups--Hispanic, etc.), surrounded by all the other colors of the rainbow (to appeal to everyone else).

Those feet on the obesity pic are gross though. There is dirt under the toenails. Perhaps they ought to re-run an article from the 1960s dealing with how important it is for youth to wash.

Also, I now officially hate the word "zeal".

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

This is so funny I nearly piddled...

Thinking ability. Going to school can help you develop what the Bible calls “common sense and sound

judgment.” (Proverbs 3:21, Contemporary English Version) Acquiring these skills will help you to solve your

own problems instead of always having to rely on others to bail you out.

Social skills. The Bible admonishes Christians to cultivate such qualities as long-suffering and selfcontrol.

(Galatians 5:22, 23) Mixing with a variety of people at school gives you plenty of opportunity to

master those qualities, along with tolerance, respect, and empathy—traits that will serve you well in adulthood.

• rebel8
    rebel8

when I toured patterson while still under construction there was a sister driving a huge excavation scraper rig
    When I went to a build, a bro had me bend steel and that's what I did all day. All the other sistas had to clean, shovel and serve sandwiches. The bro kept getting counseled and chided b/c he didn't let a man do it. I mean it was a major drama which just made my day b/c I hated the misogyny and rules. He must have too b/c he kept refusing all the counsel he got. Wonder what ever happened to him...

I guess if you have a vagina you can't use tools other than brooms or whisks.

The article Blondie posted...brings back memories. @ that time our boe kept telling us girls needed to learn secretarial skills so they could find a nice part time job until they got married. gag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit