October Awake

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

This gem from page 8...

education

...who would shun his own children for religious reasons,

decline life-saving medical treatment,

and view seven men as a conduit with God.

Cedars

• cofty
    cofty

Has she been paddling?

• maisha
    maisha

Propaganda, Trying to make it look good, Why they keep reading this forum for ideas i wil never know...

• cedars
    cedars

Love the reasoning given on page 9, where the Society attempts to explain to WORLDLY people why "higher education" is wrong.

"Be reasonable with regard to how much education to pursue. As mentioned earlier, education can help prepare your child for responsible adulthood. (Genesis 2:24) But how much schooling does reaching that goal require?
    Do not assume that your child must attend a university to make a decent living. There are other options that are less costly. In fact, in some cases those with trade skills can make as good a living as university graduates.
    "

You guessed it... it's not about "pursuing the Kingdom first", it's about parents saving money on tuition fees!

What a bunch of two-faced sods. I can't believe their cheek!

Cedars

• therevealer
    therevealer

The look on that girl's face is - Oh, is it possible. Next awake issue : How to succeed at college or university.

• elderelite
    elderelite

cedars, my deppest sympathy and respect that you actually take the time to read this tripe... and totally agree that it takes a lotta nerve to peddle education and then deny it in the same article. Just awesome the Cognative dissonance that goes on

• cedars
    cedars

As I continue to leaf through this magazine, I begin to wonder whether the entire contents are intentionally ironic.

Take this gem from page 10...

obesity

...uhm, let me see, by dissuading them from playing extracurricular sports, as in this quote from a June 15th, 2011 Watchtower article??

"Christian youths need to maintain the proper balance between serving the true God and participating in other activities. Those who do so are heading for success in life and deserve warm commendation.
    Some young Christians, though, become heavily involved in extracurricular activities and hobbies. Such activities may not in themselves be objectionable. However, young Christians should ask themselves: ‘How much of my time might those activities demand? What about associations? What kind of spirit am I exposed to when engaging in those activities? And what might become the focus of my life?’ You likely realize that one could become so obsessed with such activities that little time or energy would be left for maintaining a relationship with God. You can see, then, why setting priorities is important.—Eph. 5:15-17.
    Consider the case of Wiktor. He relates: “When I was 12, I joined a volleyball club. In time, I won many prizes and awards. I had an opportunity to become a star.” In time, Wiktor became disturbed about the effect that his pursuit of the sport was having on his spirituality. One day, he fell asleep while trying to read the Bible. Also, he recognized that he derived little joy from the field ministry. “The sport robbed me of my energy, and soon I realized that it was also robbing me of my spiritual zeal. I knew I was not doing all that I could.”

Cedars

• metatron
    metatron

Ironic: (n) - a polite way to say "lying your a$$ off" within the context of propaganda.

Re-title the Awake article: "How To Succeed In School While Daydreaming In Class And Being A 16 Year Old Hottie"

metatron

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Lol!

Hmmmm, that doesn't look like any home-school that I've get seen?

Here's a hint on how to succeed in school: don't sit there, day-dreaming about how great your life will be, when you finally marry a faithful mate who loves YHWH as much as you do, and you both can live happily ever after, serving in an assignment where the need is great!

Instead, ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS!!!

""Be reasonable with regard to how much education to pursue. As mentioned earlier, education can help prepare your child for responsible adulthood. (Genesis 2:24) But how much schooling does reaching that goal require?

Do not assume that your child must attend a university to make a decent living. There are other options that are less costly. In fact, in some cases those with trade skills can make as good a living as university graduates."

Let me finish this one for them: "Brothers with such skills will no doubt prove invaluable after Armageddon, with plenty of debris to clear, projects to do, etc. That's why we give those brothers with trade skills plenty of opportunity to hone their skills now, spending their weekends working on quick-build projects and RBC. Plus, that means free skilled construction labor for us!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit