Do you celebrate Holidays after you leave?

by Lalis 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lalis
    Lalis

Hi everyone im new in here I was just curios does anyone here after leaving the J.W. organization celebrate any holidays without a problem? Or attend birthday parties and stuff like that without it bothering you?I know I dont have a problem with it.I dont celebrate any major holidays but thats because after so many years not doing it I would feel weird doing it now but I dont have a problem being invited to a gathering that has to do with any of the above.

• mindfield
    mindfield

I'm still a little uneasy with holidays. Although that may be because, for most of the time, i'm spending holidays with my JW parents.

• bitter mango
  • JBean
    JBean

I'm one of those folks who just LOVES a party... of any kind! I also LOVE to give... soooo... I do not have any problems with holidays/birthdays/etc. And get this: as I said before, I'm still technically in... but keep my celebrations VERY quiet around the JW's... I only celebrate with all my "other" friends !!! I sometimes wonder how many other JW's celebrate without anyone finding out! It's like anything else, once you realize that these celebrations are not evil as we've been brainwashed to believe, and you see wonderful people, just like yourself, celebrating out of love of family, etc., it becomes a very happy time, actually. : )

• borgfree
    borgfree

Hi Lalis,

The first year after I left the WT I was invited to a Christmas party. I didn't have a problem with it because I was convinced by then that everything I had been taught by the WT were lies. I started sending Christmas cards and birthday cards etc.

I enjoyed the holidays very much but never chose to put up a Christmas tree, until this past Christmas. My son left the WT about a year ago and he asked if we could put up a tree, so we did. We had a really wonderful Christmas. As time goes by I think you will enjoy the holidays more and more. Especially the Christmas music.

"True patriotism doesn't exclude an understanding of the patriotism of others" Queen Elizabeth II
  • Angharad
    Angharad

I have just booked my little boys' first birthday party, I cant wait neither can he - he will be 5 in May.

• borgfree
    borgfree

Angharad,

That is really great! You'll have to tell us where we can send birthday cards.

Borgfree

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

For me, personally, it helped to find out the true roots and motives to holidays. The JWs twist what the meanings and then try to prove them wrong. Almost all of the holidays origins were christian, not pagan and celebrate something amazing that God did. Recognizing those true motives in celbrating holidays is what it's about. At least for me

• Angharad
    Angharad

Thanks Borgfree

We celebrated his birthday last year and it was great, but this is the first year he will have a proper party!

• target
    target

March 3rd we celebrated my son's first birthday. He is 29. I know he felt a little odd about it. He and his wife were raised in the Borg. My husband and I had 25 years before we were brainwashed, so we have memories of those things and it is not that hard to go back. My little grandson will have his first birthday party March 10. He will be 4. He is so excited. We will all have a great time!

Target

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit