Worldwide Church of God collapse

by cog_survivor 42 Replies latest jw friends

• trebor
    trebor

Thank you for posting, Cog. I enjoyed it. It wasn't long winded at all. It had some details but not too much. Well done.

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

Black Sheep - I think hard to predict how a person will react to such a situation. A lot depends on emotional investment and commitment to intellectual honesty. A lot of intellegent people stayed with the old doctrines because they couldn't believe that all their previous sacrifices had been for nothing.

Terry, Panhandlegirl, Donny, and Blondie - Wow! I was amazed that you had actual encounters with WWCG like that. The free magazine was their hook for generating interest. They didn't expose too much of their doctrinal hand with it though because they wanted to ease people in so that they were sure they had them hooked hard.

Slimfatboy - I think get what you are saying. The way things were handled were not always honorable or honest. Though I'm not sure how oportunistic they were (I'm sure there was some) because the changes they made were like shooting themselves in the leg. They began to bleed out pretty heavily. The WWCG now barely exists (under its new name Grace Communion International). The upside to what they did though was that it gave a lot of people like myself their chance to understand they had a choice in their beliefs.

Blondie - Living Church of God is under Roderick Meredith as you say. It was one of the splits formed after the wwcg changes. Meredith was one of the old guard who had been an evangelist under Herbert Armstrong. He first left when the changes started to join up with a splinter group called the Global Church of God. However, they tried to govern by committee and he wanted to be in charge. So he managed to set up an account and convince a large number of the members to send their tithes to him instead of the church corporation. He then made off with the money to set up his own group where he is the head honcho.

• Terry
    Terry

Donny: I remember a Witness who saw me with a Plain Truth magazine in the early 1980's commented that it was written by "the evil slave." It seems that a rumor was being passed around the Witness circles that H.W. Armstrong used to be a JW or International Bible Student and split after Russel passed. I believe Mr. Armstrong even had a small article in his magazine stating that he was never part of the Society

I heard that one, too!! In fact, the person who brought me into the JW's told me that as though it were established fact. He added a spin to it:

"That's why Armstrong calls it the Plain Truth."

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

welcome Cog!

Enjoyed your post and the insights that you shared.

We do totally understand where you are coming from.

Hope to read more of your posts in the future.

The Oracle

• LV101
    LV101

Interesting and Welcome. Knew a witness who claimed she was reading/studying all the WWCG literature when she met Louis Armstrong's sister and was recruited by her to the Witness machine or maybe I've reversed it but she took piano lessons from Louis' sister and either Louis' sister recruited her or she gave up the WWCG studies w/ Louis' sister. Anyway, she ended up a witness and said the witnesses had the truth and was relieved. I tried to block out as much as possible because she was so negative about any other religion.

Look forward to reading more of your posts.

LV101

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Cog_surviver: Welcome to the board. And yes I want to hear more.

Kojack

• talesin
    talesin

Welcome!

My grandfather used to listen to the broadcast every night. That was when GTA was 'in favour' with Herbert, and he did the broadcast. He had quite the orator's voice! The Plain Truth was always lying around their house.

Grampy liked the WWCOG because he could still smoke, and not get disfellowshipped. Their message was similar to the JWS. But, in his dying years, he kept saying "I know the Truth TM is right". Poor Grampy.

tal

• Quendi
    Quendi

Welcome to our community, COG, and I look forward to future sharings from you.

Quendi

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Donny:

I remember a Witness who saw me with a Plain Truth magazine in the early 1980's commented that it was written by "the evil slave." It seems that

a rumor was being passed around the Witness circles that H.W. Armstrong used to be a JW or International Bible Student and split after Russel passed. I

believe Mr. Armstrong even had a small article in his magazine stating that he was never part of the Society

Terry:

I heard that one, too!! In fact, the person who brought me into the JW's told me that as though it were established fact. He added a spin to it:
    "That's why Armstrong calls it the Plain Truth."

My jw mom told me the same thing about 30 years ago.

• binadub
    binadub

cog_survivor:

I didn't realize the WWCoG didn't allow women to wear makeup. Interesting.

I used to watch Ted Garner on TV, and we thought the WWCoG read Watchtowers and got some of their teachings from the Witnesses. I was impressed with their TV productions. Actually, it turns out that in some cases it may have been the other way around. I've been told that they were teaching the end in 1975 before the Watchtower was.

Did you happen to know some of the other leaders of the church at Ambassador College in Pasadena when Tkatch was the successor of HWA?

Thanks for posting.

~Binadub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit