What are your thought of the 144k in heaven

by bobld 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

My thoughts are that they are just another concept/fantasy/myth from The Watchtower.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just about every religion has its own elements of Bullshit.

144,000 and the JWS/WTS is one of them.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

The 144,000 is a symbolic number not to be taken literal.

Don't mean to quibble, but ALL numbers ARE symbolic: they're all squiggly marks written on a paper (or screen, etc) that represent a quantity of something else they're depicting.

Perhaps you are trying to say the number is not meant to be an accurate representation, but an estimate pulled out of someone's bum, because it sounded really big? Maybe.

The Bible is loaded with numerology that is missed by most modern readers. My understanding is that it is the square of 12 (i.e. 12 X 12 = 144, significant of the 12 tribes of Israel, then adding a bunch of zeroes at the end, to make it a REALLY BIG number).

I personally think there must be a Trinity-like deal going on, where all of the Anointed Ones who come are forced to double- and triple-up inside a single angelic "body", since they're very little cramped on single-room spirits. Think of it like a roommate, except a roomie within the spirit domain.

Ohh, I thought it was a "martyrs only" club? Also, no women, and no males who aren't virgins. It's very exclusive, and it seems like you've gotta know peepol to get in....

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

As far as how they spend their time, the 'overseeing the work' thing is good (doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy, knowing there's a giant eye in the sky watching you 24/7?), but I thought they had to sing the praises of YHWH in a song that's really tricky to sing, and takes ALOT of choir practice.

There's also a reference to washing the robes of martyrs with the blood of the ram, making them white (i.e. pure: wait, I thought blood was..... nevermind...), so apparently there's a laundry detail up there. What, you didn't really think those robes were going to whiten on their OWN, did you?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My understanding is that it is the square of 12 (i.e. 12 X 12 = 144, significant of the 12 tribes of Israel, then adding a bunch of zeroes at the end, to make it a REALLY BIG number).

You hit the nail on the head King Solomon a good and valid assumption.

Of course in biblical times 144,000 was indeed a great crowd, bigger than most centralized civilizations.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

You hit the nail on the head King Solomon a good and valid assumption.

Yea, whoop de doo: I've been praised by a talking baby! <insert sound of slow sarcastic hand clap here>

For the record, I've threatened to cut punk babies like you in half before, so I'd watch it with the offering wise ol' King Sol your approval: push me and I'll lop that hand (the one with the thumb up) off so fast it'll make your kidneys spin....

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

According to the Bible, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines .

With that many wifes no wonder your so miserable and grumpy, all that nagging must be unbearable

• Vanderhoven7
  • King Solomon
    King Solomon

Talking Baby babbles:

According to the Bible, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines .

Uh, the word that was written was HAD, when it should've been KNEW, in the Biblical sense. The "wives" thing was only because the motels made me put their names in the scroll on that line.

And I don't mean to brag, but let's just put it this way: the inerrant word of THE LORD was trying to downplay my escapades: the actual number was MUCH HIGHER. I got more action than that Joseph dude ever DREAMED of <wink, wink, nudge, nudge> ....

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Since there are 12,000 memorial partakers, thatleads me to believe there are only 132,000 overseeing the preaching work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit