Parties puff you up with pride

by rebel8 14 Replies latest jw friends

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i have been out for roghly 6 years and the one time i sorta had a bday was 2 years ago and i sabotaged that. last year was a complete disaster due to other ugly circumstances. third time's the charm right?

my high school graduation 'party' consisted of my mom (the only jw in my family), my grandparents and my aunt on her side, my dad's father aka the child molestor (oddly enough not a jw...) and his wife who i used to call grandma. that...was a pathetic party, and i can't imagine what my grandparents and aunt were thinking...no friends? that's the life of a good jdb though

• finally awake
    finally awake

Nearly all of the kids in the hall I attended had graduation parties when they finished 8th grade and high school. They were really big deals, complete with presents and probably 50 to 75 people in attendance.

I had baby showers for all 3 of my kids - only the local sisters threw parties for the 2nd and 3rd kids. I felt weird being the center of attention at those things.

• blondie
    blondie

I have to get my glasses checked, I thought it said panties

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I remember the first Xmas I celebrated on my own: it really meant so much, as instead of worried about the "pagan roots" I could see it was about sharing it with my GF and her son (she let me share her Xmas with them). Really quite a fond memory.

But yes, the "no birthday, etc" thing falls perfectly in line with the general principle of deprecating the individual vs the group, built on assumptions that mere mortal humans are unworthy of praise, but deserving of condemnation. It's FUBARed with a capital F.

It's also consistent with the reason why some Xians get extremely uncomfortable if given a compliment, and always feel the need to deflect the praise to their creator, "to the Glory of God". This leads to social awkwardness, since they've never learned to accept ANY compliment, so even a polite offering becomes a need to get into how all credit goes to their God, etc. That leads to the impression of their being pompous arses, as they will do this for even trivial compliments. It reminds me of the old saying, "Don't be so humble: you're not THAT great".

But yeah, this is one manifestation of a high-control group, and the mind-reaming begins on Day One (and the parents often don't even understand that they're doing it).

Break the cycle, by all means. Don't live a thoughtless life.....

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Blondie said:

I have to get my glasses checked, I thought it said panties

As the talking baby said, I dare say a cute-fitting pair CAN fill some girls up with pride.... :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit