STOP MAKING CRAP UP!

by Sheep2slaughter 29 Replies latest jw friends

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Captain Obvious sed:

Soo biblical morality=knowing exactly how and when to beat your slave/maidservant/wife and how much. Just not with a rod...

No, you can use a rod,but it's better to use a more-modern "rod" that doesn't leave any evidence likely to indicate "extreme abuse" (eg a rubber hose, or even one made of carbon-graphite which is lighter, and won't break).

Amazingly brutal, huh?

Come on, folks, I'm begging someone to PLEASE tell me it doesn't look like the GB based this "new" policy on Exodus 21:20. The GB seems to think Mosaic Law is still the best law, EVER, since Jesus didn't offer any significant policy updates on dealing with spousal abuse while he was here....

• Farkel
    Farkel

: No scriptures are sighted but I am well aware of the support they usually use.

Let me guess. You were home-schooled as a dub kid.

Farkel

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Farkel: not sure of the intent of your last comment but I do regret that I typed 'sighted' instead of 'sited'. You knew what I meant man!

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Just by way of a fill in:

The laws provided in Exodus were based on "eye for an eye" reasoning, meaning that the harm or loss experienced by the victim was to be the loss doled out to the perpetrator in retaliation, as punishment.

HOWEVER, this rule only applied to cases where the victim and perpetrator were of EQUAL STATUS, which in Israelite culture, meant MEN who belonged to one of the 12 Tribes.

The eye of a slave, or the eye of a woman, was NOT VALUED as much as the eye of an Israelite man. This disparity was written into the law, and this is an example that shows the bias for all to see.

If there WERE a concept of equality for everyone in their laws (i.e. if "eye for an eye" applied to ALL humans, Israelite males and slave women alike), then there'd be no need to "tilt" the law in the favor of the slave owner, as it shows: the law would just say, "an eye for an eye", and leave it at that.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

PSS why the concern for eyes, teeth, etc? The Israelites believed that the reproductive life-source (the ruah) was centered inside the head, and causing damage to the external manifestations of the ruah (e.g. the head, hair, teeth, but also the genitalia, and oddly enough, the knees!) could harm the ruah. Not being blessed with God's superior knowledge of science, they often confused cause-and-effect (although losing one's teeth, it could be argued, made it harder to eat: malnutrition has a negative effect on one's reproductive capabilities).

This is the same reasoning reflected in the prohibition against a woman grabbing a man's genitals in a fight, or the restrictions against eunuchs being allowed to worship in the Temple: they were considered as damaged goods, marked, due to damaged or impaired ruah.

• blondie
  • Diest
    Diest

COuld you immagine being an active witness while being married to jgnat? How odd would it be to be married someone who was not a witness but could destroy every idea your relgion had in 15 min lol. jg, Keep him honest lol.

• blondie
    blondie

sighted

sited

cited

• Farkel
    Farkel

sleep2slaughter,

: but I do regret that I typed 'sighted' instead of 'sited'.

As blondie pointed out, you got it wrong twice. It's "cited." I'm not bothered by that, though. We all do stuff like that, but, well, WERE you home-schooled?

I take it you are very young, and got screwed in your education like my children did. Master the English language and you will go further with that knowledge than you ever dreamed you could go. That and your ability to write English properly will take you further in life than all the Watchtowers ever written could ever do.

Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

Cheers!

Farkel

• jgnat
    jgnat

Diest, I keep him as authentic as I possibly can. Which means he is acquisitive, capricious, illogical and a bit of a clown. A fine foil for me.

Blondie, thank you so much for taking this article. I just can't stomach it. As an interesting turn, hubby can't either. Where does the bible suggest that a person is unforgiven and untrustworthy forever....over marriage and divorce choices?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit