STOP MAKING CRAP UP!

by Sheep2slaughter 29 Replies latest jw friends

• harleybear
    harleybear

wokeup: good questions. You know that if I were still married to the same asshole that I was (now mr. CO) and brought up his physical abuse. ( Lots of hits, slaps, kicks. ) or, as I did, bring up the issue of spiritual endangerment, not a damn things would be done now as was nothing done then. The mind set is to blame the victum. This is the WTBTS lame way to appear as caring when in fact it is to keep the elders busy with committee meetings.

• harleybear
    harleybear

where can I find that article so I can read it online? What issue is it.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Matthew 15:9

It applies to everyone but them....

...just don't grow a beard

LOL

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Religion = all about making crap up

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Haleybear: copy and paste the following for the article: http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/w_E_20120515.pdf

Its actually not the most offensive article as long as one can look past the relatively high divorce rate among witnesses, The lie that the elders won't view you differently if you have marital problems, the audacity of the society in adding to the scriptures(grounds for separation) and so on.

Jgnat: so sorry to hear you were treated so horribly. Glad you are the strong woman you are today tho.

I find the way the "slave" twist scripture and make up stuff offensive all the time. It's laced into almost every sentence they write/utter. I usually just filter out their nonsense. Today I just needed to mini-rant.

What made up crap do they spout that gets your goat?

• watson
    watson
    Regarding paragraph 14, who defines what 'extreme' physical abuse is?

Well, that's up to the body of elders or Judicial Committee in your region. Rules and regulations may vary.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

They won't take action against a couple that separates in general even if they view the grounds as frivolous. They will just admonish you of the dangers of separation and encourage you to do things Jehovah's way. Brother might not be able to be held up as an example. To me the problem is that some very sincere individuals that take the society's words as gospel will stay in a relationship where they are beat and abused cuz they fear displeasing god if it's not extreme enough. Or as was pointed out at out meeting today, they need to see what they personally are doing to lead to the situation they are in. Like there is ever a justifiable reason to hit another person! Makes me sick.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

How silly, with the Society trying to define what level of physical abuse is acceptable, and the level which constitutes "extreme" abuse.

Perhaps the basis of the clarification of policy is NOT unfounded on scripture, and maybe they followed the Bible's approach for disciplining a slave (replacing the word 'husband' for 'man', and the word 'wife' for 'maid-servant'), as found at Exodus 21:20?

21:20 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21:21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

21:25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

21:26 And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake.

21:27 And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.

So the husband has to be careful NOT to cause the wife to lose an eye or tooth, as the husband then must set the wife free, experiencing economic harm. He also must be careful not to beat the wife to death, for that's considered manslaughter.

However, the law acknowledges that if the wife is beaten and manages to hang on to dear life for a "day or two", then the man must NOT charged with manslaughter, and is off the hook, scot-free, since the husband enjoys the presumption of innocence that the wife MAY have died from NATURAL causes (eg they died of internal bleeding a day or two later: but the beating itself had NOTHING to do with it. Just a coincidence, folks; move along....) Besides, the loss of the wife at the man's own hand is considered punishment enough ("for (the slave) is his, worth $$"). .

So I can see it now: the wife is supposed to jump around to try and align the blows of the husband's rod to knock out a tooth or eye and earn a separation from him, but the husband is trying to land blows on areas that don't leave bruises that confirm any "extreme abuse".

And if the wife IS beaten unconscious, the husband suddenly must administer CPR to at least keep the wife alive for a day or two to avoid manslaughter charges.

So there's your Biblical morality in action, folks. THAT'S LIKELY the scriptural basis used to come up with this policy, defining "extreme abuse" as that which causes the loss of an eye or tooth; only THEN, is the wife "set free" and allowed to get a scriptural divorce. The husband then must experience the economic harm of paying alimony and spousal support, since she is "his money". Lovely, eh?

Anyone who says, "But YHWH is the moral law-giver: we're not required to use man's secular laws" is fooling only themselves.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Soo biblical morality=knowing exactly how and when to beat your slave/maidservant/wife and how much. Just not with a rod... Remember jehovah of armies hates violence!

Honestly though aside from the dogmatic "principles", shitty examples and poor advice, today's WT study wasn't all that bad!

That one statement about a spouse's spiritual endangerment being grounds for separation had me steaming... Because that could easily happen if my wife were to tell an elder about the "spiritual discussions" we have.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When Jesus and Paul were alive, I assume a Roman man could kill his wife, children, or slaves with total impunity.

I wish there were a clickable link.

No level of abuse should be acceptable. When the Witnesses visited me a few weeks ago, they assured me that the WT does not interfere in marriage. HA! Liars!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit