Are we completely sure Trans people don't just have a mental disorder?

by Lore 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Diest
    Diest

Welcome to the Board Dawn, thank you for sharing your perspective.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

I love my Dawn. Glad you posted. <3

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Welcome to the board Dawn.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Re: Are we completely sure Trans people don't just have a mental disorder?

Who's this "we" you speak of?

• ammo
    ammo

NIce Dawn

Welcome

x

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Gender is a social construct, whereas sex is physical.

There is a lot of evidence that gender is at least partly biological as well as a social construct.

Hi Lisa, this was just my take on how I learned it in anthropology. Each culture defines gender a bit differently. What is masculine in one society may be considered feminine in another society. But it can certainly take on different shades of meaning in different contexts. I'd be interested to know more about this.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Welcome Dawn!

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

What the hell is "genderqueer"? It feels somewhat offensive to me.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Some straight folks I have become friends with have initially been quite curious about who is the 'man' in my relationship and who is the 'woman' - a concept I have difficulty understanding tbh lol (we're both men for the avoidance of doubt, or as close as I can get without shaving the palms of my hands).

Part of the error in gender definition perhaps lies in assuming there is a defined set of behavioural characteristics which are male, and those which are female and that we all only take characteristics from one pile or the other, or else there is 'something wrong' with us? There are men I know who seem to demonstrate as many or even more of the "female" characteristics than some or even most women I know, but they don't actually want to be women and have no interest (as far as I know) in men sexually.

Given the personal consequences for gender reassignment for many, I can only assume that whatever the drive is, it's powerful. Is it a disorder? I guess if your mind thinks your male but your body is female it's a disorder however which way round the disorder is I wouldn't like to say. My understanding is that there is considerable input from professionals eg psychiatrists etc before re-assignment is carried out (in the uk at least).

• Heaven
    Heaven

So how should I treat a trans person?

With love and compassion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit