What was the last great deal you got?

by Chemical Emotions 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I'm leaving this pretty open, but the last great deal I got was a new-quality Steif plush (about $70 dollar value, I'd optimistically guess, when it was new). For about 2 or 3 bucks. At a yard sale I think. I was pretty stoked.

A frivilous buy but I was happy about it. Still am.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Well besides awesome deals at the grocery store or awesome happy hour specials I don't often buy non-essentials anymore (although alcohol isn't an essential :P). Last couple things I can think of. A couple years ago I bought an authentic baseball jersey on MLB.com. It was half-off during the winter months and couple that with a $50 MLB.com gift card my coworkers got me for my birthday and it dropped that $150 jersey to me only spending $25.

Another instance which technically didn't involve spending any money. My brother works for Hard Rock Cafe and can get free tickets pretty often. We got a couple of tickets to go see Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. We figured they would just be lawn seats (as is usually the case). We get to the will-call and they give us VIP passes. His boss George managed to score my brother a couple VIP tickets. We looked online and those tickets were going for around $400 a piece.

• cantleave
    cantleave

A pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers for FREE!!!! Long story, but thanks to Pay Pal screwing up.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

A full length leather coat in perfect condition for $5.00. I still have it....still in good shape after 5 years.

I also got a full length black cashmere coat for $75.00 at a consignment shoppe. (easily $800.00 new)

Coffee

• elderelite
    elderelite

I saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to geico!

• Emery
    Emery

well now that Elderelite said somthing, I will have to say switching to USAA was the best deal ive gotten on insurance and banking in a loooong time.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I buy cheap and sell dear for a living. I have to do this every day or I don't eat. Best ever mark up was £425 from 50p, but the average is around buy for £1 and sell for £10. It's getting more difficult than it used to be.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Stay at the San Antonio Grand Hyatt River Walk on a Saturday night (week of Fourth of July) at a Priceline.com rate of $93 plus taxes.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I receive many benefits to which I am NOT entitled by writing/emailing,phoning the corporate management rather than the retail end. Fees have been waived. I actually receive policies. The biggest coup for me was getting free tickets from the WHO and Paul McCartney by writing personal letters to their management. I expected the seats to be in heaven. When I entered the arena where the WHO were performing, I automatically starting to ascend to heaven. I was sent back to the fourth row center, between Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey. McCartney gave me a ticket to the side on the first tier. I was closer than people on the ground level. All I did was recount my experiences as an original fan.

When writing to corporate is not enough, threatening to report the matter to my state's Attorney-General works miracles.

Once you knock it into corporate, the customer service skills are superb. The reps have the power to make a deal. It is a night and day experience.

There used to be a great silent auction for a Chrstian global charity, run by volunteer labor. The present problem is they decided to pass the locals and now auction the good stuff on Ebay.

Doing thirft shops in very wealthy neighborhoods is a thrill. They stock actual true designer goods for a fraction. My size is never included, though. There are so many very smalls, and smalls. A friend suggested that younger women purchase more disposable clothing and are smaller in size. Most consignment shops I visit are very overprice with mediocre goods.

A woman at church purchase an authentic vintage Schiaperelli coat for twenty dollars at auction. It would sell elsewhere for thousands. She is in the business, however.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, my mom worked for an elite physical therapy practice. A client worked for Radio City Music Hall. She gave us tickets for shows that no one was buying. We saw Ann Margaret. If I paid $, I would report that the show was crummy. Since it was free, it was an enjoyable event.

We also saw Frank Sinatra but those tickets were very hot. My mom saw him when she was sixteen (she sneaked into NY to see him with a JW girlfriend). I treated her when she was in her eighties. I used to hate him for hogging radio space that could go to rock music. The show was great.

I never do well at outlets. My best clothing finds happen in exclusive stores when the season ends. I've purchased clothes that sell for $500. for $75. The price remains a struggle. The clothes I see in outlet I would never buy if I Had millions of dollars. You have to stumble upon these sales.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit