It's a longshot, but does anyone know what this old tool/part is?

by ataloa 31 Replies latest social entertainment

• Kudra
    Kudra

It's a PBG.

Portable Beer Goggle. Circa 1810 - 1860.

Victorian ladies and gents used to carry them around but usually in leather holsters.

You would look through it across a crowded room to select your mate -usually these tools were found to be used in "dry" counties.

• glenster
    glenster

Someone might identify it at an antiques forum.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It's bugging me now. I want to know what it is. Yeah, need closer, clearer pics from several angles.

What are those protrusions on the handle - a bolt and ... ?

Is there some sort of groove or shaping in the handle?

'Guide' - is that on the handle or on the metal plate attached to the glass bit? Are there any markings that might be associated with 'Guide'?

When you say the handle moves in all directions, do you mean it has a ball/socket join? Or is it more like a hinge (up and down only)?

Does it appear that there are two pieces of glass stuck to each side with nothing in between them, or is it just one solid lump of glass?

The black bit surrounding the glass (pic 2) - what is that made of? Or is it just part of the glass lump?

Is there a museum you could take it to or send pictures to?

• Listener
    Listener

The screws on one side of the handle might suggest that it was attached to some other item.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Go to a small town pub, buy a beer, look for a table frequented by old dudes. If they don't know the answer to your question, just enjoy their company.

If it bothers you that they don't know the answer to your question, go to another small town pub, buy a beer, look for a table frequented by old dudes.

ad infinitum

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

I haven’t seen one of those things for decades. But I know what it is. It’s a gadget folks could purchase and mount in there autos to see traffic lights.

They were popular back when rich folks would have those fat visors mounted on their car windshields. It was impossible to watch traffic lights without ducking way down in the seat. You could mount this gadget somewhere on your dashboard and it would, essentially, bend the light (divergent lens, virtual image et al). It swiveled just like the rearview mirror so it could be adjusted to the driver’s comfort.

Does this date me, or what?

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• cantleave
    cantleave

Does this date me, or what?

No - it gains you respect!!! Not only THE Ex-JW blogger but the font of all other knowledge too.

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Wow, I'd never heard of these things, but after Marvin Shimler's comment I just had to look it up:

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/30396/Chevrolet_Traffic_Light_Viewer_Superb_Reproduction_Guide.html

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Three cheers for Marvin! Rather, make that three s for the "old dude"

Pic from Steve_C's link.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Holy poop! That is not anywhere near what i would have expected, but awesome nonetheless!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit